Guardian Quiptic N° 689 by Orlando

Posted by PeterO on January 28th, 2013

PeterO.

I had some trouble with the blogging utilities, so I hope the results make some kind of sense.

I am happy that the puzzle itself presented no great problem, as befits a Quiptic. Thank you Orlando.

1. Callas recollected a famous opera venue (2,5)
LA SCALA A very appropriate anagram (‘recollected’) of ‘Callas’ plus ‘a’, for the Milan opera house.
5. Something chewed ? filled with brilliant yellow sauce (7)
CUSTARD An envelope (‘filled with’) of STAR (‘brilliant’) in CUD (‘something chewed’).
9. Question for cook (5)
GRILL Double definition.
11. Verbal attacks help backward groups of people (9)
DIATRIBES A charade of DIA, a reversal (‘backward’) of AID (‘help’) plus TRIBES (groups of people’).
11. Helicopter carrying old-fashioned peasant (10)
CLODHOPPER An envelope (‘carrying’) of LOD, an anagram (‘fashioned’) of ‘old’ in CHOPPER (‘helicopter’).
12. Online engine? That’s crazy! (4)
LOCO Double definition.
14. Wrist mangler, rotten in a test of strength (3,9)
ARM-WRESTLING An anagram (‘rotten’) of ‘wrist mangler’, and another appropriate &lit surface.
18. Children’s author short after asking clumsily for loads of money (1,5,6)
A KINGS RANSOM A charade of A KINGS, an anagram (‘clumsily’) of ‘asking’ plus RANSOM[e] (Arthur, ‘children’s author’) without the last letter (‘short’).
21. Smack first of runners coming last (4)
KISS SKIS (‘runners’) with the first letter moved to the end (‘coming last’).
22. Where substitutes are meeting journalists for exercise (5,5)
BENCH PRESS A charade of BENCH (‘where substitutes are’) plus PRESS (‘journalists’).
26. Male is taken in by trivial fortune-telling (9)
PALMISTRY An envelope (‘taken in by’) of M (‘male’) plus ‘is’ in PALTRY (‘trivial’).
26. Spooky European lake (5)
EERIE A charade of E (‘European’) plus ERIE (‘lake’).
27. Monarch capturing small-time cattle thief (7)
RUSTLER An envelope (‘capturing’) of S (‘small’) plus T (‘time’) in RULER (‘monarch’).
28. Bit of kitchen equipment just being still at regular intervals (7)
UTENSIL Alternate letters of ‘jUsT bEiNg StIlL‘.
1. What’s left, for example, in moulded clay (6)
LEGACY An envelope (‘in’) of EG (‘for example’) in LACY, an anagram (‘moulded’) of ‘clay’.
2. Seaman overhauled Polaris after power cut (6)
SAILOR An anagram (‘overhauled’) of ‘[p]olaris’ with P removed (‘after power cut’).
3. Not mad about silver? It’s very fashionable (3,3,4)
ALL THE RAGE An envelope (‘about’) of AG (chemical symbol, ‘silver’) in ALL THERE (‘not mad’).
4. Do some arithmetic and make sense (3,2)
ADD UP Double definition.
5. One changes in the morning, being taken in by Guevara and Trotsky (9)
CHAMELEON An envelope (‘in’) of AM (‘the morning’) in CHE (‘Guevara’) plus LEON (‘Trotsky’).
6. Annoyed fly may be heard (4)
SORE A homophone (‘may be heard’) of SOAR (‘fly’).
7. Heavenly food for Rambo is a stew (8)
AMBROSIA An anagram (‘stew’) of ‘Rambo is a’.
8. Police officers fill their bellies and throw up (8)
DISGORGE A charade of DIS (Detective Inspectors, ‘police officers’) plus GORGE (‘fill their bellies’).
13. Mopers hate fresh air (10)
ATMOSPHERE An anagram (‘fresh’) of ‘mopers hate’.
15. Wodehouse character heard in city (9)
WORCESTER A homophone (‘heard’) of (Bertie) WOOSTER (‘Wodehouse character’).
16. Early birds sound pleased, wanting last flower (8)
LARKSPUR A charade of LARKS (“up with the lark”; ‘early birds’) plus PUR[r] (‘sounds pleased’) without the last letter (‘wanting last’).
17. Fried food is only provided in the centre of Warsaw (8)
RISSOLES An envelope (‘in’) of ‘is’ plus SOLE (‘only’) in RS (‘centre of WaRSaw’).
19. Red cards for footballers in Scotland (6)
HEARTS Double definition; the footballers are Hearts of Midlothian, generally known simply as Hearts.
20. Too fine after first of August (2,4)
AS WELL A charade of A (‘first of August’) plus SWELL (‘fine’).
23. Rodent turning up under arch (5)
COYPU A charade of COY (‘arch’) plus PU, a reversal (‘turning’) of ‘up’.
24. American note for Bryson (4)
BILL Double definition; Bill Bryson is an author best known to me for A Walk in the Woods.

8 Responses to “Guardian Quiptic N° 689 by Orlando”

1. michelle says:

I found the top half easier and quicker to solve, then I really slowed down in the lower half, especially SE. As a beginner cum improving solver, it is encouraging to be able to fill in some answers quite quickly rather than having to totally struggle for every answer from the start. So I think this puzzle was very well-designed for its target audience (ie, people like me).

My favourites were 11a, 18a, 27a, 16d.

I found 12a difficult but pleasing to get after I had the crossing letters ?o?o

New words or definitions for me were found in 23d: coy = arch as well as ‘coypu’

Although I solved them, I could not parse 17d, 21a or 19d (last one in) so I am very happy to read your blog.

Thanks to you, Peter and all the other bloggers as I am now beginning to be able to solve and parse more clues than previously.

Thanks, Peter. Your blog is showing fine, btw.

I think it was Derek L who said of Orlando’s last Quiptic something along the lines of ‘he’s got the hang of this Quiptic stuff’, and I agree. This was a delight to solve, with nothing too tricky but some lovely, elegant, clueing. LARKSPUR, LA SCALA and ALL THE RAGE, just to name three, were cleverly constructed.

Tiny point: the footie team is HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN, commonly known as HEARTS with an S. It’s also the name of a mosaic on the pavement in the centre of Edinburgh.

Lovely Quiptic, thanks to Orlando.

3. Colin says:

Thanks Peter and Orlando.

For me, this was more varied and therefore more enjoyable than the Rufus puzzle.

I completely failed to parse 21 and kicked myself when I read the blog.

“Rissole” is a lovely word. I haven’t seen or heard it for ages.

4. jezza says:

A gentle, but enjoyable bit of fun. I liked 14a, and 16d.
    Thanks to Orlando, and to Peter.

5. crosser says:

Thanks Orlando and Peter.
    I thought the clueing of 8d was rather weak but I really liked the construction of 3d!

6. michelle says:

Kathryn’ s Dad@2 – thanks for the explanation. I know nothing at all about football (in any country) so I will store away this information about “hearts” and not get so frightened about clues that mention “footballers in Scotland” in future crossword puzzles.

I always find the football or rugby clues the most frightening! Give me a cricket-related clue any day….

7. Derek Lazenby says:

KD, ’twas indeed my comment, well remembered! I agree, this one simply reinforces the sentiment. So well done Orlando and PeterO.

8. Robi says:

Thanks Orlando – just right for a Quiptic, I thought.

Thanks PeterO; 16d and 21a took as long as the rest of the puzzle, and I still failed to parse KISS [got stuck on ‘runners’ as athletes!]