Financial Times 14,224 by Monk

Posted by PeeDee on January 30th, 2013

PeeDee.

Great stuff from Monk.  Challenging as always, new words and unfamiliar definitions of old ones with plenty of misdirection to send us down the wrong track.  Thank you Monk.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 MANS BEST FRIEND (TRIBESMAN FENDS)* off=anagram – a boxer is a type of dog
9 SALLY LUNN ALLY (marble, glass ball) inside (eaten by) S (son) L (left) rUNNy (inside of) – a type of cake or bun
10 MUSCA initial letters of ‘Another Crossword Setter Unzipping My’ – Musca is the housefly genus. Does Monk have anyone particular in mind I wonder? Does 3dn or 6dn help us guess?
11 PAN-ARAB PAN (criticise) A BAR (bank) reversed (back-pedalling)
12 ASININE AS I (one) NINE (19 interpreted as 1 and 9)
13 REITERANT RANT (tirade) about IT (appeal, it=that special something) inside (hedged by) E’ER (ever, always) – definition is repeating. I wasted some time trying to make RE-RANT (repeat tirade) fit in here.
16 BUNKO rOy (discovered, with no covers) following (on) BUNK (bed) – to lure a person to another location and rob them. Great misdirection, I learned a lot about Rob Roy on the way to solving this.
17 CREED CREEp (unpleasant person, short) with baD (ultimate letter of)
18 FACT SHEET C (crica, about) in FAT SHEET (gross newspaper)
19 ANGELIC A (are, land measure) then GEL (set) in (stopping, like a bottle) NICk (the Devil, endlessly)
21 BRIOCHE O (old) CHeddar (a couple of letters of) in BRIE (a cheese)
23 EXAMS X (vote) in (stopping, like bottle again) MEAnS* (anagram=possibly) with N=name removed (anonymously)
24 IMITATION double definition
25 THE LONG GOOD-BYE (GENTLE BOYHOOD)* anagram=lost without (going outside) G (good) – Novel by Raymond Chandler, written during his wife’s terminal illness.
1 MISAPPRECIATED MIShAP (accident) missing H=hospital PRECIs (summary) unfinished (shortened) on DATE*
2 NYLON NY (American city) to the west of LON (london, the capital)
3 BOYFRIEND cryptic definition
4 SQUIB SIB (sibling, brother perhaps) going round (circulating) QU (quarterly) – to squib is to lampoon
5 FANTASTIC (FAT CATS IN)* shit=anagram – some indication of Monk’s political persuasion?
6 IAMBI I AM BI (can go either way) – metric feet, poetry
7 NESCIENCE NicE (extremes of) SCIENCE (maths, for example). Personally I don’t think of maths as a science, that would be called physics ;)
8 WATER ON THE KNEE NEE (born) under (following) anagram (spiralling) of NEW KO (knock-out) and THREAT
14 IDEOGRAPH I (beginning of identify) and DEO (with god) and GRAPH (plot) – a Chinese character for example
15 AFFECTION (TO CAFFEIN)* anagram=is dodgy
16 BASTINADO cryptic definition – bastinado is torture or punishment by whipping the soles (sounds like souls) of the feet
20 LYSOL some of oiLY SOLution – definition is &lit
21 BEING leading letters of Biological Engineering Invented New Genetic – definition is ‘substance’
22 CLIMB C (caught) on LIMB (branch)

*anagram

11 Responses to “Financial Times 14,224 by Monk”

1. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Monk for a very enjoyable crossword – too many really good clues to single one out as a favourite. Thanks also to PeeDee for the blog.

To me, 24ac and 16dn were not up to the (very high) standard of the rest of the puzzle. The double definition in 24ac was really two very similar meanings of the word, and for me 16dn was an obscure word and needed precise wordplay not just a cryptic definition.

14dn: I think we need to take “with God” as the indication for DEO (in the ablative).

2. MikeC says:

Thanks Monk and PeeDee. VG puzzle. 16a got me – I’d never heard of the correct answer, and an anagram of “on bed” fitted the crossers. One down to the lazy solver!

3. PeeDee says:

Thanks Pelham. Latin is not my strong point.

4. EdM says:

16a could also be bunk (bed) + (Roy) O(rbison) = bunko (rob)

5. Ferret says:

I read 2d in a different way…..I saw the ‘west” indicating the left hand side of London. Thanks to setter and blogger.

Ferret BSc (Mathematics)

6. Pelham Barton says:

Now that I have got home and had a chance to check my copy of Chambers 2011, I can confirm a piece of unsurprising news: the (fully valid) anagram lead in 5dn does not appear in the long list in A Wordgame Companion.

Ferret @5: I read 2dn the same way as you. I would have no problem with either reading in an across clue, but I think our reading sits more comfortably in a down clue. Having said that, there is a lot to be said for the view that answers can be formed horizontally and then entered vertically into the grid.

7. PeeDee says:

Ferret, I agree about the ‘left of’ not being appropriate in a down clue. I have changed the blog.

8. Sil van den Hoek says:

But then Monk should have said “north of the capital”, which also doesn’t feel completely right to me. When writing, er, down the word “London” it is really the left part of it (as we write from left to right). I do see the objections, but I find Monk’s choice acceptable.

Very good crossword, which I did not find extremely hard – perhaps a temporary wavelength thing.

When I entered LYSOL (20d), I was almost certain that I saw a similar thing recently (for the same word) – don’t know where though.

Thanks PeeDee, for the blog & explaining 16d to me (ah, those cds).

12ac (ASININE) I found one of the very best today.
    Together with the Rob Roy one and 5d (FANTASTIC).

A bit surprised to see ‘Good’ to be part of the solution and the clue in 25ac. Technically speaking, nothing wrong with it, but.
    And I had a similar feeling about ‘man’ in 1ac.
    As I said, not really a problem but perhaps I expect a (highly respected) setter like Monk to avoid this.

Great stuff.
    Accessibility meets Quality.

9. PeeDee says:

What I find a little distracting on the across/down orientation issue is that when writing up the blog all the solutions are being written left-right in one long list, so it is easy to slip into the wrong mindset when annotating the down clues.

I don’t have any great objecion to left-right constructions in down clues, just prefer it when they are avoided. What swings it in this case is that there is no need to interpret that way as a literal reading of east/west in the clue works just fine.

10. Monk says:

Many thanks PeeDee for super blog, and to all others for comments, on which specific replies are: (i) 10ac is simply an opportunity to inject Viz-style humour; (ii) at 5dn, fat cats can be of any political leaning … and I didn’t envisage that the experimental anagrind (thanks, Editor!) would be in the standard references; (iii) 16dn was known to me as a child, but I now wonder how and why; (iv) 20dn IMHO, the west/east clue indication for a down answer simply gives the setter a little more freedom if the horizontality of the printed clue can be invoked even when the answer is written vertically; provided, of course, that no ambiguity is introduced. Incidentally, this puzzle was in memory of my 5dn JRT 4dn who, until recently, was (this) 1ac, and for whom I had great 15dn until 25ac :(.

11. PeeDee says:

Monk: Thank you for dropping by with these explanations, and sorry to hear about you losing your Jack Russel.

I had completely forgotten to look for a Nina in this puzzle. I guess that for once there isn’t one?