Posted by Pete Maclean on January 31st, 2013
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 19, 2013
Here’s another fine Cincinnus puzzle with a couple of tricky clues, 12A (STOA) and 14D (TOURNEDOS), and as usual a few outstanding ones, for my money 22A (BEEFBURGER), 28A (LANDLORDS) and 24D (DEAR). I also found 10A (AFTERNOON) a challenge; I got the answer quickly enough but failed to see the significance of reversing MP!
1. NEEDINESS – S (small) + ENID (girl) together in SEEN (seen) all backwards
6. AEGIS – [l]A[w] + EG (say) + IS (is)
9. TOTEM – hidden word
10. AFTERNOON – MP backwards is PM (post meridiem)
11. EVENTUALLY – VENT (outlet) in EU + ALLY (partner)
12. STOA – “A TO S” (19 letters [of the alphabet]) backwards. Tricky if you have not seen this type of clue before. I have once that I can recall.
14. TOO TRUE – TOOT (binge in US) + RUE (regret). I had not known this meaning of ‘toot’.
15. DISCARD – DIS (police officers) + CARD (comb)
17. UPSTART – P (quiet) in US (American) + TART (floozie)
19. STELLAR – STELLA (woman) + R (resistance)
20. NOTE – double definition
22. BEEFBURGER – BEEF (complaint) + (RE (about) + GRUB (food) ) backwards
25. DISREPAIR – S (son) in DIRE (dreadful) + PAIR (couple)
26. UNTIE – [a]UNTIE (family member scratching head)
27. SLYER – SL[a]YER (a missing killer)
28. LANDLORDS – [footbal]L + LORDS (cricket venue)
1. NITRE – anagram of INERT
2. ENTRE NOUS – anagram of EN[c]OUNTERS
3. IMMATERIAL – IM (this setter’s) + MATERIAL (stuff)
4. EMANATE – MANATEE (sea cow) with bottom (E) shifted to the top (up)
5. SETTLED – SETT (badger’s home) + LED (was first)
6. AWRY – homophone (“a rye”)
7. GHOST – G[ay] + HOST (army). That is, a ghostwriter.
8. SANTANDER – anagram of STAND NEAR
13. AS PER USUAL – AS (like) + U (university) in PERUSAL (reading)
14. TOURNEDOS – anagram of NURSE TO DO. The definition is ‘cut’ as in a cut of meat.
16. ALLIGATOR – ALL (everyone) + GI (soldier) backwards + A (a) + TOR (peak)
18. THE MALL – THEM ALL (every Tom, Dick and Harry)
19. SAFFRON – anagram of FOR FANS
21. TESTY – TEST[if]Y (give evidence but not if)
23. RHEAS – anagram of SHARE
24. DEAR – double/cryptic definition