Posted by Ringo on January 31st, 2013
Not sure if I’ve blogged on Wanderer before – but anyway, time is short, so I’ll simply say that I enjoyed this puzzle: nothing knock-your-socks-off great or tear-your-hair-out difficult, but plenty of variety, some very nice surfaces and a fairytale theme to boot. Thank-you, Wanderer.
9. ANDANTINO And [joiner] + ant [social worker] + in + o [love, zero]
10. RURAL R [river] + Ural [river]
11. PREEMIE Anagram of E [European] Empire (‘Preemie’ is a US term for a premature baby [early arrival])
12. EDGINGS D [dead] + GI [soldier] within Eng’s [England’s]
13, 6, 7. THE FROG PRINCE Anagram of Chef reporting
14, 22, 18. THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA The princess [royal] + and the pea [sounds like the letter P, the ‘top’ of Princess]
17. SET TO Reversal of otter’s [swimmer’s] minusr [right]
18. See 14ac.
19. RESIT Re [about] + s [second] + it [sex]
21. REASSURANCE Anagram of a nurse cares
23, 4. EBB TIDE Anagram of debt ie [id est, that is] B [Britain]
25. CADENCE A den [a study] within C [Catholic] + CE [Church (of England)]
27. OLYMPIA Double definition
28. ETHER (N)ether [bottom]; ‘number’ is used in the sense ‘thing that numbs’
29. CLOSE-KNIT Anagram of link Scot (stereotyp)e
1. CARPET Double definition: a nodding dog toy might be a ‘car pet’
2. ADHERENT Hidden in sweetbreAD HER ENTrails
3. ANIMATIONS I’m [setter’s] within a nation’s [a country’s]
4. See 23ac.
5. FOREORDAIN Anagram of roof rained
6. See 13ac.
7. See 13aa.
8. CLOSE-SET S(creened) e(xclusively) within closet [small private room]
15. EXPERIENCE Double definition: Hendrix’s band were known as The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. NURSERYMEN N [North] + anagram of Surrey + men [people]
17. STRICKEN Rick [man’s name, male] within Sten [gun, arm]
20, 24. SLEEPING BEAUTY Cryptic definition, alluding to the heroine awakening [revival] after a hundred years’ sleep [centenary]
22. See 14ac.
26. NORM Norm(a) [opera]
27. OBOL O [Fanny Adams, nothing, zero] + reversal of lob [toss]