Everyman No. 3460 (27th January)

Posted by The Trafites on February 3rd, 2013

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

I dont know about you but I enjoyed this puzzle tremendously. Some of my favourites were, 4, 14, 17 and 24ac. 2, 5 and 19dn. I hope you all enjoyed it also.

Big thank you to Everyman for another fine puzzle.

1. Quick exercises after concert (6)
PROMPT PT after PROM
4. Child’s play? (5,3)
PETER PAN cd
10. Member blowing hard, trumpet player (9)
ARMSTRONG ARM+STRONG
11. Behave badly at college after work (3,2)
ACT UP UP after ACT
12. Children’s author and poet shortly to be given extremely excellent time (7)
BURNETT BURN[s]+E[xcellen]T+T
13. Mimic one friend eating Italian (7)
IMITATE I+(IT in MATE)
14. A careless seamstress may forget her train of thought? (4,3,6)
LOSE THE THREAD cd
17. What a child may have to wear even on train (or coach)? (6,7)
SCHOOL UNIFORM UNIFORM(even) after SCHOOL(coach)
21. In conflict with commander this month (7)
AGAINST AGA(commander)+INST(this month)
22. Crow put him off? That’s about right (7)
TRIUMPH (PUT HIM*) around R
24. Is it possible for a learner to navigate this? (5)
CANAL CAN+A+L
25. Guns lay by sacks (3,6)
AIR RIFLES AIR(lay, song)+RIFLES(sacks)
26. Average speed on way (8)
MODERATE MODE(average)+RATE
27. Workmen’s tools left in crooked spire (6)
PLIERS L in (SPIRE*)
1. Work willingly with others in activity ahead of dance (4,4)
PLAY BALL PLAY+BALL
2. Shell daughter removed from window (5)
ORMER [d]ORMER
3. Cool case (7)
PATIENT dd
5. Condiment game colonel put underneath tongue (7,7)
ENGLISH MUSTARD (colonel in the game Cluedo©) after ENGLISH(language, i.e. [mother] tongue)
6. Inspect burst main feeding SW river (7)
EXAMINE (MAIN*) in EXE
7. Drunken do up at pit ended (3,4,2)
PUT PAID TO (DO UP AT PIT*)
8. Quietly he interrupts young relative (6)
NEPHEW (P(quietly)+HE) in NEW(young)
9. Mainly intended to reach those people top star harassed (3,3,4,4)
FOR THE MOST PART FOR THEM(those people)+(TOP STAR*)
15. Supported American coming in injured (9)
SUSTAINED US in STAINED
16. Force when entering Tennessee port, leaderless (8)
EMPHASIS AS(when) in [m]EMPHIS
18. Boxer’s second name’s King (7)
HANDLER HANDLE+R
definition here is ‘boxer’s second’, which could lead the solver to think of ‘O’
19. First home, one with tail wagging (7)
INITIAL IN+I+(TAIL*)
20. Powder copper put in malt extract (6)
TALCUM CU in (MALT*)
23. Children’s author’s line seen in pit (5)
MILNE L in MINE
 …………………………………….

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3460 (27th January)”

1. crosser says:

Thanks, Lorraine. After I’d solved 17a, I couldn’t account for “(or coach)”, which puzzled me a bit. Surely it’s redundant because “train” already does the job?

2. michelle says:

As a beginner-cum-improving solver I found this puzzle quite difficult, so it was especially satisfying when I eventually finished it. And like Lorraine, I enjoyed this puzzle tremendously.

My favourites were 12a, 26a, 2d and 16d.

I learnt two new words when solving 2d – dormer and ormer.

Last ones in were 18d and 21a. I had inserted ‘alarums’ as the answer to 21a (‘in conflict with’ but of course it was just a guess and I couldn’t parse it), and had all but given up on 18d. I think that often I get in a panic when certain sports are referred to in the clues, and so in this case I wrongly assumed that the answer was a famous boxer and I spent a lot of time on google looking for a boxer whose name starts with “H”. When I finally managed to read the clue correctly, it was much easier to solve ‘HANDLER’, and then I was able to correct 21a ‘alarums’ to ‘AGAINST’.

Regarding 5D, although I did put in ‘ENGLISH MUSTARD’, I could not parse the mustard part, so thanks for this blog, Lorraine. I enjoyed reading your detailed parsing of all the clues.

Thanks, Lorraine. The usual elegant and accessible stuff from Everyman here. PUT PAID TO and PLIERS were particularly good, I thought.

I too wondered for a moment or two about SCHOOL UNIFORM, crosser. The clue does work as it stands, but as you say, the ‘or coach’ part does seem redundant.

4. Stella says:

Thanks Lorraine, nice blog – just a slight slip: in 6d, *MAIN is in EXE, not after it :-)

I think “(or coach)” serves to clarify the intention of the wordplay in 17ac, which might otherwise have been a little more obscure than is usual for an Everyman; it might have been added as an afterthought, to simplify.

5. crosser says:

OK, Stella, I’ll buy that. Thanks.

6. Bamberger says:

Failed on 4a. I thought Peter Pan was a book and not a play.

7. Trafities says:

Lorraine

Thank you to everyone for all your comments.

I always look forward to reading them.