Posted by Pete Maclean on February 7th, 2013
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 26th, 2013
One of my solving buddies referred to this puzzle as a slow burner. Meaning, as I took it, that you don’t get completely stumped anywhere but it takes a while to work through it. And it did take me a while. It has some lovely clues, especially for me 1D (RUGGED) and 9D (PARTIAL ECLIPSE), plus some others that are very clever, notably 1A (ROSEBUSH) and 6D (OTTER). And then it has one that I am not sure I completely understand, 12A (ENNUI).
1. ROSEBUSH – anagram of E SHRUB SO. This qualifies as an &lit, no?
5. PONCHO – ON + CH[ap] together in PO (river)
10. GARBAGE – B (black) in GARAGE (place for wheels)
11. ARTICLE – [p]ARTICLE
12. ENNUI – U (university) in INNE[r] (not entirely private). Is this right?
13. WATERGATE – WATER GATE (means of access for a current)
14. INFOTAINMENT – anagram of MENTION IN FA[c]T. This was the most difficult clue for me.
18. MOUNT OF VENUS – anagram of FOOT NUM[b] + VENUS (beauty). I had to look this up. I had heard of the Girdle of Venus, but not the Mount.
21. ANTIVIRAL – anagram of RAIN VITAL
23. ALLOT – L (left) in A LOT (a heap)
24. REGARDS – reverse hidden word
25. PIG IRON – GIRO (income support) in PIN (secure)
26. DE TROP – PORTED (carried) backwards
27. PENDANTRY – ED (journalist) in PANTRY (store)
1. RUGGED – double/cryptic definition (a rug by the hearth is so typical)
2. STRING – double definition
3. BRAZIL NUT – BRAZIL (yellow shirt) + NUT (fan). The Brazilian football team wear yellow jerseys.
4. SHERWOOD FOREST – anagram of HOOD REFERS TO W[ill] S[carlet]
6. OTTER – O[ver] T[he] T[op] (extravagant) + -ER (more)
7. CYCLAMEN – CYCL[e] (series almost) + AMEN (the last word)
8. OMELETTE – O (old) + LETT (continental) in MEE[t] (contact not entirely)
9. PARTIAL ECLIPSE – cryptic definition
15. NEURALGIA – anagram of AN UGLIER + A[ffliction]
16. IMPAIRED – IMP (little rascal) + AIRED (put out, as in broadcast)
17. BUST A GUT – BUS (coach) + TAG (ticket) + [o]UT (out, top clipped)
19. CLARET – CLARE (college) + T[o]. Hmm, rather familiar!
20. STINGY – double/cryptic definition
22. VIRGO – R (right) in VIGO (Spanish port)