Financial Times 14,232 by Flimsy

Posted by Jed on February 8th, 2013

Jed.

Straightforward puzzle today

1 PENTHOUSES luxury flats PEN writer (THOSE US)*

7 MUGS triple definition

9 DATA evidence A TAD< (a little lad overturned)

10 CHARIOTEER Porphyrius or Calliopas the Roman I[dols] in (OTHER RACE)*

11 UPKEEP running costs UP excited KEEP part of castle

12 REPRISAL compensation REP salesman (LIARS)*

13 MELODEON small reed organ ME this setter L left ODEON concert hall

15 RHEA bird R run HEA[r] catch tailless

17 ISLE key [a]ISLE part of church missing A

19 PROPHESY predict PRO professional HE man in (SPY)* (getting shot)

22 METAPHOR eg the woman’s an animal (A ROMP THE)*

16 SOMRERO hat SOMBRE joyless OR< or uplifting

18 STEALTH secrecy STEAL appropriate TH[e]

20 SCARLET red SCAR mark LET obstacle

21 PHLOEM plant tissue (ELM HOP[e])*

24 INANE empty [nest]S from INSANE cuckoo

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    < = reverse    dd = double definition

8 Responses to “Financial Times 14,232 by Flimsy”

1. Conrad Cork says:

Soory Jed, don’t get 9. I thought it had to be data, but couldn’t explain.

2. Conrad Cork says:

Have now looked in Chambers and understand. Memo to self, always check with the BRB just in case it has the answer.

3. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Flimsy for an enjoyable and straightforward puzzle and Jed for the blog.

Conrad @1 re 9ac: Tad can be a male forename and is possibly a diminutive, hence “little lad”, which is how I read it. I think is the same as Jed is saying.

1ac: Always nice to have an easy first clue, but I thought the anagram “those US” becoming THOUSES was somewhat feeble.

4. Pelham Barton says:

Conrad @2 re 9ac: I too should have looked in Chambers before commenting. For anyone bemused by these remarks, Chambers defines tad as “a little lad”.

P.S. For the first time since it was introduced, I managed to get the Captcha calculation wrong. Fortunately the system allowed me to try again without having to reconstruct my comment.

5. Ferret says:

A little quibble with 25a or perhaps it is my lack of feline knowledge. I’ve always known the ounce as the snow leopard with a jaguar being a totally different variety of big cat?

Thanks to setter and blogger.

6. Conrad Cork says:

Pelham @ 3, and maybe off the subject.

My publishing company was called Tadley Ewing Publications, after Tadley Ewing Dameron, a jazz composer and pianist. He was always called Tadd, but with a double d.

I expect the little lad thing is short for tadpole.

7. mike04 says:

Ferret @5
    I had similar thoughts about the Ounce when solving. Here’s what the BRB has to say:

n. originally, and still sometimes, a lynx: now generally the snow leopard: the jaguar: the cheetah: sometimes vaguely any moderate-sized wild beast of the cat tribe.

So it’s an Ounce that’s frightening all the birds away from my garden!
    Thanks Flimsy and Jed.

8. Sil van den Hoek says:

We haven’t seen Flimsy for a long long while (and his Indy alter ego Nitsy even longer).

The puzzle was enjoyable enough, yet there was a mismatch between the time we had to wait for Flimsy and the quality of this crossword. In my opinion, that is.

I am not against easy crosswords but I expected a bit more after seeing the name of the setter today, as I really liked most of his previous puzzles.
    Blame it on me.

Nothing wrong with the clueing as such, but it was over all too soon – even for an average solver like me.

Despite all this, many thanks to Flimsy – and Jed, of course.
    CoD: SOMBRERO.