Independent 8,213 by Monk (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 09/02/13)

Posted by Simon Harris on February 16th, 2013

Simon Harris.

Thinking back, I’m not certain that I’ve ever actually managed to finish off a Monk puzzle, so no surprises that this was a bit of a slog. I can’t add much other than, well, it’s a good job there’s an online version with the answers.

One or two still evade my attempts to explain things.

1 SAUSAGE ROLL A custom to stop walk, needing time for a snack (7,4)
(A USAGE) in S[t]ROLL
9 HOTEL-DIEU The Oldie circulated by University Hospital (5-4)
(THE OLDIE)* + University
10 NIMBI Dark things finally changed one who’d prefer others to suffer? (5)
from NIMBY, “finally changed” to I
11 SNAFFLE Steal inferior silver, regularly hidden for fencing (7)
NAFF in S[i]L[v]E[r]
12 PREQUEL Possibly book in advance before getting left out in crush (7)
PRE + QUEL[l]
13 SERVIETTE Trap sponger? (9)
presumably a dd., but the “trap” bit is lost on me
16 PAGAN Infidel beginning to practise once more after I left (5)
P[ractise] + AGA[i]N
17 PLING Somewhat Kiplingesque! (5)
clearly, [ki]PLING[esque], but I don’t get the reference
18 NATATORIA Pools win ultimately leads to a tiara being ordered (9)
[wi]N + (TO A TIARA)*
20 OLYMPIC It may precede record of compliancy formed after withdrawal of Congress (7)
COMPLI[anc]Y*
22 POUNCES Swoops on pimps outside community centre (7)
[comm]U[nity] in PONCES
24 ERATO Muse album’s first to follow Queen (5)
ER + A[lbum] + TO
25 OPEN HOUSE Hospitality of public audience (4,5)
OPEN + HOUSE
26 SHOP STEWARD Representative reset the password (4,7)
(THE PASSWORD)*
1 SITTA Discovered fattish, round, family of nuthatches (5)
[f]ATTIS[h]<
2 UPLIFTING Raising up one foot in 17A, relieving pressure (9)
UP + ((IFT) in [p]LING)
3 ASIDE Apart from the best single? (5)
A SIDE
4 EQUIPMENT Tackle English chaps about Sally Traffic’s origin (9)
(QUIP in (English + MEN) + T[raffic]
5 OUNCE Old relative has left out cat (5)
Old + UNC[l]E
6 LIMBURGER Spur on one who insists something very smelly will result (9)
LIMB + URGER
7 RHESUS Primate’s right-hand man (of the cross) shunning judge (6)
Right Hand + [j]ESUS
8 BILLON Draft law against something that’s mostly base (6)
BILL + ON
14 RAINY DAYS 10 can lead to such hard times to come (5,4)
No idea
15 TENACIOUS Dogged by extremely unspeakable actions following representation (9)
(U[nspeakabl]E ACTIONS)*
16 PETRUSHKA Cast kept entertaining sudden great demand before a popular ballet (9)
(RUSH in KEPT*) + A
17 PRO TEM Short leisurely walk around terrace, empty for now (3,3)
T[errac]E in PROM
19 ANSWER All points in annual return are what is 23 (6)
(N + S + W + E) in Annual Return
21 PROMO Advertising for a brief period (5)
PRO + MO
22 PIECE Scrap that may follow cross work conversation? (5)
errr, well you can have a “crosspiece”, but that’s about all I can make of this
23 CLUED What every setter did—went to pot around fifty (5)
L in CUED

* = anagram; < = reversed; dd = double definition; [] = removed

8 Responses to “Independent 8,213 by Monk (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 09/02/13)”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Many thanks, Simon, for your fine and clear blog.
    The ‘trap’ in 13ac is someone’s ‘mouth’, so I see this clue as a cd.
    14d: The NIMBI (plural of NIMBUS) of 10ac are dark rainclouds that can lead to rainy days, literally.
    22d: PIECE can follow ‘cross’, indeed, but also ‘work’ and ‘conversation’. I remember Monk having done a similar thing ages ago in the FT.
    I cannot help you with 17ac.

Many thanks to Monk for, once more, a satisfying crossword.

2. Wanderer (not the setter) says:

Thanks Simon.

17, a PLING is an exclamation mark in computer-speak, so I think the def is simply !
    14 refers to 10 (NIMBI), which lead to RAINY DAYS — I took it as a reference to ‘saving up for a rainy day’.
    13 — I also don’t get this one.

There’s also a Nina, RIP SQUIB MY MUCKER. Condolences to Monk.

I found this at the tougher end of the Indy spectrum, but then I always do with Monk. Huge fun and a thoroughly satisfying workout. Many thanks to Monk.

3. NeilW says:

Thanks, Simon.

SERVIETTE is a CD – think: trap = mouth.

Chambers tells me that PLING is computer-speak for an exclamation mark. Equally, it tells me that NATATORIA is an American expression – I think Monk might have included US at the start of the clue.

RAINY DAYS – when you fall on hard times and need to resort to your savings; NIMBI bring rain.

I was hoping that you would have got further than I on PIECE! I’ll think again. ;)

4. Dormouse says:

17ac – “Pling” according to Chambers is an exclamation mark, so the definition part of the clue is right at the end.

5. NeilW says:

Crossings all around – anyway thanks, Sil, for the PIECE explanation – I was fixated on piecework!

6. NeilW says:

Wanderer @2, I too spotted RIP SQUIB but not MY MUCKER. Not being, until recently, a regular Indi solver, I have no idea if this has an obvious significance? In any case, may I echo your condolences to Monk.

7. allan_c says:

Not too difficult, I got there in the end – but didn’t spot the nina. HOTEL-DIEU emerged from the anagram fodder, but needed a quick google to confirm that it is the oldest hospital in Paris, and a subsequent appeal to Chambers to discover it’s a general name for any hospital. BILLON was new to me, too.

A couple of quibbles, though. 10ac is one of those ambiguous clues where the definition can be either the start or end of the clue. In this case it needs the crossing letter from 8dn or the cross-reference at 17ac to clarify. And in 1dn, to be pedantic, SITTA is the genus of the nuthatch, not the family, which is (are?) the Sittidae.

But thanks, Monk and Simon.

8. Monk says:

Many thanks to SH for blog, and to all for comments and, indeed, condolences. Both this puzzle and FT 14224 were in-memoriam tributes to my cheeky little JRT, Squib, who gave me many years of laughter, fun and affection (pet owners will understand!).