Posted by Pete Maclean on February 21st, 2013
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of February 9, 2013
I find only one outstanding clue in this puzzle — that is 22D (NINJA) which is a fine &lit. — but think it is a solidly good puzzle all in all.
1. CHATTY – C[ricketer] + HATTY (like a bowler, might you say?)
4. ATOMIC – hidden word
8. DENTIST – [fa]N in anagram of ID TEST
9. STROPPY – TROP (too much) in SPY (look)
11. PROSTITUTE – P (soft) + ROSTI (Swiss food) + TUT (mummy) + E[aten]. This was easy for me as I happen to love rosti; had a memorable one in Austria a couple of years back. In the definition, ‘the other’ is slang for sexual intercourse.
12. HULL – double definition
13. DINGO – anagram of DOG IN
14. PARENTAL – PA (secretary [as in personal assistant]) + RENTAL (hiring)
16. CATALYST – anagram of C[learl]Y AT LAST
18. IRONY – double/cryptic definition
20. DAFT – DA (attorney) + FT (us)
21. BIRTHSTONE – anagram of THE BRITONS
23. NIGERIA – AIRE (runner — in the sense of a river) + GIN (drink) all backwards
24. STAMINA – ANIMAT[e]S (enlivens without energy) backwards
25. THOUGH – H (hard) in TOUGH (hard). There is a typo in this clue, at least in the Web edition. It has “desribes” which should, surely, be “describes”.
26. UGANDA – UG (primitive comment) + AND (joiner) + A (a)
1. CLEAR – C (ton) + LEAR (king)
2. ARTISAN – SIT (pose) backwards in ARAN (sweater)
3. TESTIMONY – IM (I’m) + ON (working) together in TESTY (irritable)
5. TITHE – TIT (common bird) + HE (man)
6. MOORHEN – RHE[a] (tailless flightless bird) in MOON (show behind!). It took me a while to figure out this wordplay.
7. CAPILLARY – PILL (a dose of medicine) in CARY (Grant)
10. JUMP-START – JUMP (jerk) + START (jerk)
13. DRAMATIST – TAMAR (Cornish river) backwards + IS (is) together in D[orse]T
15. REICHSTAG – anagram of CHAIRS GET
17. ART DECO – DEC (month) in anagram of ROTA
19. OTTOMAN – OTT (extreme [i.e. Over The Top]) + OMAN (nation)
21. BLING – B (black) + LING (swimmer)
22. NINJA – hidden word and an &lit.