Everyman No. 3464 (24th February)

Posted by The Trafites on March 3rd, 2013

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning all. I know I say it every week but, I truly enjoyed solving this weeks puzzle :) No real favourites just an all round clear and concise puzzle. I did need help to parse 16ac though.

Big thank you to Everyman as always.

1. Husband on board poorly lit boat (6)
DINGHY H in DINGY
4. Candour unwisely shown about large witches’ pot (8)
CAULDRON (CANDOUR*) around L
10. Splendid Havana, say (7)
CAPITAL dd
11. Person vandalising cowl on chimney (7)
HOODLUM HOOD+LUM
12. Crude thug with money (5-3-5)
ROUGH-AND-READY ROUGH+AND+MONEY
14. Who will have reviewed this Sheridan play? (3,6)
THE CRITIC cd – ref. this PLAY
15. Magistrate imprisoning duke for evasion (5)
DODGE DOGE around D
16. Leader of opposing side is outstanding (5)
OWING O(pposing)+WING
18. Children’s author had dollar exchanged (5,4)
ROALD DAHL (HAD DOLLAR)*
21. On what a local tax may be based in area A (but level fluctuates) (8,5)
RATEABLE VALUE (AREA A (BUT LEVEL)*
23. Captain brought in an eastern perennial (7)
ANEMONE (NEMO in AN)+E
24. Grandmother cutting a cotton cloth (7)
NANKEEN NAN+KEEN
25. Dagger found in street by messy toilet (8)
STILETTO ST+(TOILET*)
26. Opening bowler, perhaps American, catches one (6)
HIATUS (HAT+US) around I

1. Star of French cinema’s first speech (10)
DECORATION DE(French ‘of’)+C(inema)+ORATION
2. New record a while ago with melody taken from 9 (7)
NEPTUNE N+EP+TUNE
3. One would expect a player to behave appropriately (3,3,5,4)
HIT THE RIGHT NOTE cdd (split after the ‘to’): ‘singer’ would appear to be more appropriate here
5. Language used when armchair almost collapsed (7)
AMHARIC (ARMCHAI(r))*
6. Painter cooked vindaloo and rice (8,2,5)
LEONARDO DA VINCI (VINDALOO AND RICE)*
great anagram
7. Revolutionary university in revolutionary broadcast (7)
RELAYED (YALE<) in RED
8. Celebrity from Dublin, a megastar (4)
NAME hidden: dubliN, A MEegastar
9. Earth perhaps flat? Theory, initially (6)
PLANET PLANE+T(heory)
13. Very evil trap set up for game (4,6)
REAL TENNIS REAL+(SIN+NET<)
17. One from the Middle East is one king brought over (7)
ISRAELI IS+(I+LEAR)
18. Get near volatile chemical substance (7)
REAGENT (GET NEAR)*
19. Article put in last, possibly at an angle (6)
ASLANT AN in (LAST*)
20. Complaint from the Italian chaps stationed in the outskirts of Aldershot (7)
AILMENT (IL(Italian ‘the’)+MEN) in A(ldersho)T
22. Girl in form caught out (4)
LASS (c)LASS

10 Responses to “Everyman No. 3464 (24th February)”

1. Bryan says:

G’morning Lorraine

There’s a typo in your 18a.

But, more importantly, you appear in one of the clues in today’s puzzle!

You are FAMOUS and deservedly so.

2. Robi says:

Usual enjoyable Everyman.

Thanks Lorraine; yes, fame at last! I particularly enjoyed STILETTO, RELAYED (for the misleading use of ‘broadcast’) and AILMENT.

3. Trafities says:

Thanks for the replies.

I quite often come up in crosswords, i.e. Quiche, Alsace and Cross all with Lorraine after them. :)

4. Trafities says:

B.T.W.

It’s the first time I have seen my name in an Anagram form. :)

5. John says:

I was not comfortable with quite a few things:
    ‘keen’ for ‘cutting’ (a keen edge = a cutting edge?) in NANKEEN

‘real’ for ‘very’ in REAL TENNIS
    (Is it US slang ‘that’s real grand’ sort of thing?)

hiatus meaning opening (although opening as ‘gap’, and hiatus as ‘gap’ I get)

and ‘Decoration’ for star. The other way round, fair enough, or ‘Star, for example’

But I am in a grumpy mood this morning!

6. michelle says:

An enjoyable puzzle with many anagrams which made it easier than usual. I was so glad that I could parse all of the answers. It does make me feel that I have learnt something from Everyman and 225.

First in was CAULDRON, last in 13d REAL TENNIS which was a new term for me.

I like DECORATION, HIATUS, RELAYED & REAL TENNIS.

New words were NANKEEN, AMHARIC.

Thanks for a great puzzle, Everyman and thanks for the blog, Lorraine.

7. Paul B says:

I should think AMHARIC is a new word for just about everyone apart from some Ethiopians.

8. Paul B says:

… AND it was anagrammed! Ooh it makes your, or one’s, I suppose I should say, blood boil. Some nice clues though. I thought Israeli was handled very nicely in SI.

9. Donna says:

Thank you once again, Everyman and Lorraine. First in for me was 8 Down and the last in was 13 Down, a term whith which I was not familiar but managed to reason out. Not so at 22 Down! I had the “a” and the last “s” from the crossings but I simply couldn’t get it. That’s because of “form.” I didn’t make the association with “class.” Considering how many British TV shows I watch and books I read, I really should have been able to, but it won’t trip me up next time (she said with a determination she did not feel!) I loved the mention of Roald Dahl at 18 Across, my son’s favorite author when he was a little boy. I read him “The Twits” so many times I could practically recite it from memory and my friend gave him recordings of Mr. Dahl reading “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” and “James and the Giant Peach” which he loved to play at 5 AM every morning! I also loved 7 Down. What a nice clue! Wishing you all a pleasant week ahead!

Thanks, Lorraine. (I guess NICK is also useful to setters, which is no doubt why you two became keen on your crosswords.)

Talking of KEEN, I’m sorry to hear you’re grumpy, John, but I think ‘a keen wind’ and ‘a cutting wind’ are pretty synonymous.

AMHARIC new to me as well, but as last one in with all the crossing letters and an anagram, I’m not going to complain. The day where you don’t learn a new word is a day wasted …