Posted by Pete Maclean on March 7th, 2013
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of February 23, 2013
I found this Mudd to be a mixed bag. A couple of clues were tough, such as 1A (MIMOSA) and 19D (SLAP-BANG). A couple are very clever; I especially like 28A (INCLUDE) and 9D (VERDI). And there are a couple I find slight fault with, 12A (REAL) and 21A (BRIDAL).
1. MIMOSA – SOM[e] (a little short) in AIM (end) all backwards
4. CATCH-ALL – CAT (queen perhaps) + H (hard) in CALL (cry)
10. SARDINE – RD (road) + I (one) together in SANE. Some people may not like ‘insane’ cluing an insertion into SANE but it’s fine by me.
11. GINSENG – GIN (drink) + S[t]E[in]N + G (good)
12. REAL – reverse hidden word. Not sure I like ‘passing over’ as a reversal indicator.
13. IDEALISTIC – anagram of LAID CITIES
15. ORIENT – anagram of [p]OINTER
16. MINERVA – MIN (thirty seconds) + V (very) in ERA (a long time)
20. RAPHAEL – RA (artist) + H (hot) in LEAP (spring) backwards
21. BRIDAL – homophone (“bridle”). I think the homophone is brilliantly clued here (“sound check”) but I am not so fond of the definition (“of the train puller”). True, a bridal gown may have a train but still I find it hard to think of a bride as a train puller.
24. FLASHLIGHT – LASH (hit) in FLIGHT (journey through the air)
26. SOAP – double definition
28. INCLUDE – D[iscussions] in IN (in) + CLUE (this)
29. SULTANA – cryptic definition
30. HITHERTO – H (hospital) + anagram of HOTTER I
31. BAD EGG – double definition
1. MUSHROOM – MUSH (sentimentality) + ROOM (space)
2. MARGARITA – A (a) + GRAM (weight) both backwards + RITA (girl)
3. SLIP – double definition
5. AU GRATIN – anagram of GUITAR in AN (article)
6. CENTIMETRE – TIME (something watched) in CENTRE (focus)
7. ADEPT – A (a) + DEPT (department contracted)
8. LEGACY – EG (say) in LACY (delicate)
9. VERDI – VERDI[ct] (guilty perhaps caught short)
14. ON THE HOUSE – double definition
17. VIDEO GAME – D (died) in anagram of MOVIE AGE
18. SEDIMENT – DIME (money) in SENT (posted)
19. SLAP-BANG – SLAP (hit) + BANG (report)
22. OFFISH – OF FISH (describing a school)
23. LHASA – hidden word. Is this not a bit too obvious and easy??
25. ASCOT – A (a) + SCOT (queen like Mary)
27. FLEA – homophone (“flee”)