Guardian Cryptic 25889 Araucaria

Posted by scchua on March 7th, 2013

scchua.

This was quite a challenge, even after getting 24 across, quite early. In fact I’m still not sure of a couple of wordplays or definitions. Still an enjoyable workout, so thanks Araucaria. Besides the obvious links to 24 across, I noticed some medical and theological references, but I’m not sure if that means anything (I hesitate to hazard a guess). Definitions are underlined in the clues.  [[The pictures at the bottom have unidentified links to the puzzle.  Please enclose any comments on them in double brackets.  Thank you.]]

Where the answer to 24 across is referenced, it is either to its metaphorical sense of “dismissal” (11 across, 12 across, 19 across, and 22 down) or to its literal sense of commands in the parade ground (2 down, and 16 down).

1 Left part of part of 1 down in tree (5)

LARCH : L(abbrev. for “left”) + ARCH{ an architectural feature;part of a “bridge”(part of the answer to 1 down) }.

4 Treat a number going in to go between (8)

MEDICATE : C(Roman numeral for 100) contained in(going in) MEDIATE(to go between two or more parties to resolve differences).

8 Dusk seeming dark is close to a disease for Jenny who sang at the Cape (5,9)

NIGHT BLINDNESS : NIGH(close to in time, place or relationship) + TB(abbrev. for the disease tuberculosis, derived from “tubercle bacillus”) + LIND(Jenny, 19C Swedish opera singer, aka the Swedish Nightingale) + NESS(a headland;a cape).

Answer: A condition of the eyes in which vision is normal in daylight, but abnormally poor at night (dusk seeming dark). Technically called nyctalopia.

10 Spreading the word makes most of you more than semi-disloyal (8)

OUTREACH : “you” minus its Edit.note: Thanks Cliff@21: I meant last first letter(most of) + first 6 letters out of 11 of(more than semi) “treacherous”(disloyal).

Answer: A specific example of which is spreading the word of the gospel beyond what is considered the normal boundaries, eg. in a foreign land.

11 Request single 24 (6)

BEGONE : BEG(to request;to plead) + ONE(a single number of a thing).

12 24 changes due to single state, as the saying goes (9)

BEATITUDE : BEAT IT(an example of the metaphorical marching orders;answer to 24 across) + anagram of(changes) DUE. This seems to be a multi-layered clue. There is another possible wordplay: Homophone of(as the saying goes) “b”(abbrev. for “bachelor”;single) “attitude”(a position;a state).

Answer: A single/singular/supreme state of blessedness or happiness as mentioned in one of the sayings of Jesus in the Sermon of the Mount, including “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth”. Or is that 2 definitions (“state” and “saying”). Or am I confused by all this?

15 Get this 5 by 5 in fish (5)

SOLVE : Edit.note: Thanks muffin@10 et al. LV{ the Roman numeral for 55(5 placed by 5) }   V(Roman numeral for 5) contained in(in) SOLE(a food fish).

Answer: To get the answer to this clue;to get this clue done(answer to 5 down) with.

17 Fish-like concepts? (5)

IDEAS : IDE(a freshwater food fish) + AS(like;in the same degree, manner, etc. as in “Do as we do”).

18 Eventual return of online expert in good health (3,6)

NET PROFIT : [NET PRO](short for a professional;an expert on things connected with the online network;the Net) + FIT(in good health).

19 24, Indian (formerly colonial) style? (2,4)

GO AWAY : GOA(Indian state, formerly under Portuguese colonial rule) + WAY(a style of doing things, say).

21 Composer of swing with her composition (8)

GERSHWIN : Anagram of(composition)[SWING plus(with) HER].

Answer: Either of the 2 brothers, George (the more famous one) and Ira.

24 Most of Chinese Gordon’s vacillation during War brings dismissal (8,6)

MARCHING ORDERSEdit.note.  Thanks to miche@24 et al:  Anagram of(vacillation) { “Chinese Gordon” minus the last 2 letters respectively from each word(Most of+ ER(an expression of vacillation) } contained in(during) MARS(the Roman god of War).

Answer: Taken metaphorically to mean a dismissal from say, a job, or, simply, fired.

25 Piece, if black may be red (8)

CHESSMAN : I’m not sure of the wordplay – is it because very long ago, chessmen were red and white instead of black and white. Today one can get chessmen with the former colours, and (cheaper) chessboards with red and white squares, though these are not recognised equipment for competitive chess.

26 People about to see fruit (5)

MELON : MEN(people, strictly speaking about half of them – in the singular form “man” could refer to people without regard to sex, but I don’t think the same true of the plural “men”) containing(about) LO(see! as in “lo and behold!”).

1 Capital game, one removed to Arizona (6,6)

LONDON BRIDGE : LONDON(the capital of England) + BRIDGE(a card game).

Answer: The one before the current Bridge that was sold and removed to Lake Havasu City, Arizona because it was literally falling down due to the increased traffic load.

John Rennie's London Bridge opened in 1831

2 Spooner’s boxing and running in singularly incorrect 24 (5,4)

RIGHT FACE : Spoonerism of “fight”{ the singular of “fights”(boxing)) plus(and) “race”{similarly, the singular of “races”(running) }, both are therefore singular and incorrect derivations from the clue words. I could be wrong in my interpretation of “singularly incorrect”.

3 Why non-western article is in Kent (5)

HYTHE : “why” minus(non-…) “w”(abbrev. for “western”) + THE(the definite article).

Answer: A coastal town in Kent

4 1,320 yards of old silk on hospital vessel that contains liquid (4,5)

MILK CHURN : The first 3 out of 4 letters of “mile”(1320 yards = three-fourths of a mile) + KC(postnominal for a “Kings’ Counsel”; when there was a King, ie. formerly;of old, a barrister or advocate appointed as Counsel to the Crown;called in slang a “silk” from the silk gowns they wore in court) + H(abbrev. for “hospital”).  Edit.note: Thanks to NeilW@25:  carelessly missed out “+ URN(a vessel)”; “vessel” doing double duty?.

5 Over 501 (4)

DONE : D(Roman numeral for 500) + ONE(1).

6 Remover of heat makes Tory less intelligent (9)

CONDENSER : CON(short, as with “Tory”, for a “Conservative”, a member of the British Conservative Party) + DENSER(thicker;less intelligent).

Answer: A device for removing heat from a gas or liquid, as can be found in a refrigerator.

7 Dante’s compatriot has taken to eating something like horse (5)

TASSO : TO containing(eating) ASS(an animal closely related to;something like the horse).

Answer: Torquato or perhaps his lesser known father, both poets and compatriots but not contemporaries of Italian poet Dante, or Durante degli Alighieri. With the checking letters T_S_O, I was wondering if this was an allusion to (horse)meat burgers. Which reminds me, if you haven’t heard them:

“Just found some burgers that were past their use-by-dates … aaaaand they’re off!”

“I ate some Tesco’s hamburgers and – no wonder – they gave me the trots!”

9 Bad habit, live at last light if I were you? (9,3)

BESETTING SIN : BE(to live;to exist) plus(at) “setting sun”(last light) with “i” replaced by “u”(“you” in texting)( if I were you).

Answer: A fault to which someone is especially prone;a characteristic weakness, theologically speaking.

13 Examples of trendy attitudes (9)

INSTANCES : IN(with it;trendy;in vogue) +STANCES(attitudes;positions).

14 Sacred mushroom, say, a partial nepenthe gone off? (9)

ENTHEOGEN : The last 5 letters of(partial) “nepenthe” + anagram of(off) GONE.

Answer: An example of which;say are psilocybin mushrooms aka shrooms or magic mushrooms, used since prehistoric times by many cultures in religious rites. The word in its narrow sense means a vision-producing substance, but in its broader sense includes any natural or artificial drug that produces alterations of consciousness. And “nepenthe”, literally an anti-depressant, is also a drug mentioned in ancient Greek literature and mythology; its meaning is now extended to anything that produces sleep, forgetfulness, or pleasurable dreaminess.

16 Abandoned rotator for one of 24 (4,5)

LEFT WHEEL : LEFT(abandoned) + WHEEL(a rotator).

20 An attempt to shame (5)

ABASH : A(the indefinite article for nouns starting with a consonant sound, as “an” is used for nouns starting with a vowel sound) + BASH(an attempt;a go at doing something).

22 24 s-stuff (5)

SCRAM : S + CRAM(to stuff;to fill with an excessive amount, eg. clothes into a suitcase).

23 Business  compact (4)

FIRM : Double defn: 1st: A business concern;company; and 2nd: Solidly and firmly built, eg. a bodybuilder’s, well, body.

===================================================================

Answer to Pic#1 please click here, for Pic#2 here.

62 Responses to “Guardian Cryptic 25889 Araucaria”

1. muffin says:

Thanks scchua and Araucaria
    Great fun. I loved MILK CHURN. I wonder if the hidden TESCO in DanTES COmpatriot was deliberate – I suspect it was!

2. tupu says:

Thanks scchua and Araucaria

Another good puzzle from A. Lots of clever devices and amusing variations on a nice mini-theme. I particularly enjoyed 8a, 15a, and 9d.
    Last in was 14d which I got from the word play and a feeling of etymological good sense, though I also checked with google after failing to find dictionary support.

I put in Tesco for 7d because of the inclusion. I missed the proffered solution which makes good use of the clue.

3. greyfox says:

You’ll probably kick yourself scchaa (especially as you make reference to them) but the answer to 7 down is ‘Tesco’ – hidden in the clue.

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Scchua & Araucaria.

This was excellent!

My last in was TESCO which generated a hearty laugh.

5. george says:

I like solving Araucaria and enjoyed this even though it took me a very long while to get started, but I know from experience I just need to persevere and get a few letters in.

I could not parse some of my solutions so thanks sschua. BESETTING SIN is not something I am familiar with (although I no doubt have at least one). I did have to cheat eventually on 14d ENTHEOGEN, then looked it up and finally saw how it was derived.

[[I can't solve any of your picture links yet. The bottom right is a species of toad,but not a source of entheogen as far as I know. Now if you had included a photo of a badger (Italian TASSO) or a carnivorous pitcher plant of the genus Nepenthes I would have been fine . . ]]

6. scchua says:

It’s one of those multi-layered clues, greyfox. The online version gives TASSO as the solution.

7. ClaireS says:

Hi scchua

Thanks for the blog. I too was wondering about the parsing of CHESSMAN so came here to check. All I can think of is that it’s a reference to Caryl Chessman who was known as the Red Light Bandit? Perhaps NeilW, or someone else, will shed light later.

I also put TESCO in first for 7d before the check button revealed my error. TASSO parses better.

8. Shirley says:

Hi scchua 15A we cannot agree with your parsing of SOLVE. If it was LV for 55 it would leave SOE for the fish.
    We can’t parse it either or CHESSMAN and would be grateful for suggestions.
    Thanks

9. tupu says:

Re 7d Having put in Tesco myself I am now convinced that Tasso is correct as it makes most direct sense of the whole clue. It is a slight shame that either answer fits the spaces. I am not sure what Scchua means by ‘one of those multi-layered clues’. I may be wrong but I don’t remember coming across one quite like this. :) But A is as A does!

10. muffin says:

I had SOLVE as get this DONE (5dn) definition, with V in SOLE

11. ClaireS says:

Re CHESSMAN – strike what I said earlier. Wikipedia has this to say about chess piece colours:

In old chess writings, the sides are often called Red and Black, because those were the two colors of ink then commonly available when printing chess position diagrams.

More research needed before I post. Sorry.

12. Miche says:

Thanks, scchua.

15a: The definition is “Get this 5″ (i.e get this DONE – see 5d); V in SOLE is the wordplay.

13. Miche says:

Sorry, Muffin, we crossed.

14. tupu says:

I agree with Shirley re 15a. The definition is ‘Get this 5 (done)’ and the answer is sol(5 v)e.

I took the chessman clue to refer to the fact that in most old ivory sets the black pieces are red.

15. John Appleton says:

I had TESCO for 7, and I think that if one’s used to Araucaria’s liberties, it works well enough. But I don’t think we can doubt that TASSO, even if it wasn’t the intended solution, allows the clue to be neater.

The puzzle took me longer than it should have, though, as it took a while for the penny to drop on 24. Needed to Google the mushroom for the final answer, for which I don’t think too many would blame me.

[[ A notable child of Jarrow is that athlete S. CRAM. I'd have kicked myself for missing that, as I grew up in Jarrow and indeed went to the same school, albeit a lot later. ]]

16. tupu says:

Hi miche – we crossed.

17. NormanLinFrance says:

Thanks for the blog.

[[Jarrow equals hunger marches, Colorado River Toad, with supposedly psychedelic properties in its venom]]

18. togo says:

Thanks Scchua and Rev G

I think 15A is ‘Get this done (ans to 5d)’ = solve = v in sole……

19. NormanLinFrance says:

[[... but Steve Cram is better, hadn't seen that when posting]]

20. togo says:

Sorry to all those who clarified 15a while I was laboriously typing…….. Should have trusted the group….

21. Cliff says:

The explanation given here for 10 across is mistaken. It reads:

OUTREACH : “you” minus its last letter(most of) + first 6 letters out of 11 of(more than semi) “treacherous”(disloyal)

I submit that

OUTREACH : “you” minus its first letter (most of) + first 6 letters out of 11 of(more than semi) “treacherous”(disloyal)

would be better.

22. Charles says:

Surely the ‘incorrect’ reference in 2dn is that if you have the right face you won’t get your marching orders.

23. molonglo says:

Thanks scchua. Just under an hour for this, and just one check at the end after guessing and filling in 14d – such a good word, that hasn’t even around long. Didn’t get Lind in 8a but did deduceTASSO. Ari had MARCHING ORDERS as Cinephile last month, echoes here still of his valedictions that began on 11 Jan.

24. Miche says:

24a is, I think, CHIN(ese) GORD(on) + ER (vacillation) in MARS. Your parsing, scchua, leaves an R unaccounted for.

I was one of those who fell for the Tesco red herring (possibly containing traces of seahorse.)

1,320 yards for MIL(e) is lovely.

25. NeilW says:

Thanks to scchua for the blog, Araucaria for the puzzle and ClaireS for the wholly unwarranted compliment. :)

I was a Tesco man too for a while before revisiting the clue, thinking the lawyers probably wouldn’t allow it, although I finally decided that A had fooled them and slipped in the alternative solution – if true, thank you, sir!

Agree with Miche about the vacillation. There’s also a tiny omission – URN needs adding to the parsing of MILK CHURN.

26. urologist says:

Surely 2 down is incorrect marching orders = right face, a military command.

27. urologist says:

Surely 2 down is “incorrect marching orders” – a military command

28. urologist says:

Surely 2 down is “incorrect marching orders” – a military command.

29. michelle says:

There were many clues that I liked in this puzzle by Araucaria, especially 5, 19, 22, 18, 9, 6, 7 (yes, I put in TASSO), 2 & 10.

I enjoyed learning about LONDON BRIDGE in Arizona, HYTHE in Kent and a new word ENTHEOGEN .

I solved but could not fully parse 24, 4d, 8a.

Thanks for the blog, scchua.

30. Trailman says:

Got the LEFT/RIGHT in 16d and 2d, plus SCRAM, quite quickly, and the MARCHING ORDERS followed soon after. Couldn’t parse CHESSMAN but it seems I’m not alone. ENTHEOGEN was new and needed a fair bit of trial and error to find a word that would fit. Happily in the TASSO camp from the start.

All very enjoyable – essentially, two themes in one, rather like Crucible’s two Swifts on Tuesday. Long odds on a theme-free Friday I think.

31. michelle says:

Can someone please put me out of my misery. I still do not fully understand parsing of 24a.

I have tried to understand it as mentioned in the blog above: anagram of CHINE(se) GORD(on) inserted into MARS but I still find that I am short of one “R” to get MARCHING ORDERS.

32. postrophe says:

I also found myself in the Tesco stable. ?

33. michelle says:

miche@24
    thanks, I understand your parsing of MARCHING ORDERS now.

34. PeterM says:

I took the red & white CHESSMEN as a reference to Alice Through the Looking-glass.
    2d is grammatically incorrect because RIGHT FACE is a MARCHING ORDER, not ORDERS.
    I needed to resort to http://www.onelook.com as ‘entheogen’ is unknown to even the latest Chambers.

35. chas says:

Thanks to sschua for the blog. I had failed to parse 8a even though I had thought of the singer Jenny Lind.

[[Could photo 1 be Jenny Lind? But presumably she is the one on the banknote in 8.
    I think photo 2 is London but I have no idea about the others]]

36. Giovanna says:

Thanks to Araucaria, as ever, and scchua for the usual entertaining blog. ((I always enjoy your pictures and presume that it is the Swedish Nightingale on the 50 Kronor note.))

Lots of interest in this puzzle. TASSO was a super clue and I enjoyed the reference to Chinese Gordon, which brought back memories of history lessons of old.We knew him as Gordon of Khartoum, too.

Giovanna x

37. Robi says:

Enjoyable A. as ever, although I had to consult Google to check a couple.

Thanks, scchua for your usual immaculate (almost) blog. I thought the marching order of RIGHT FACE might be ‘incorrect’ for political reasons, as A. does not face that way, as far as I know. I did like the MILK CHURN.

[[#1 is Leslie Caron - as this is scchua it is likely to be a film. She was in a rather obscure French film about chess, called 'Dangerous Moves,' although no doubt it is something more obvious.
    #2 is Manchester - the only thing that I can think of is that Fergie made a BESETTING SIN by leaving Wayne Rooney out of the starting 11. ;) ]]

38. rw251 says:

Re CHESSMAN – it could be to do with players preferring to be white – therefore you might be angry (“Red”) if you are black.

39. sidey says:

RIGHT FACE is not a marching order as it can only be give to a person who is stationary.

TASSO is a marvellous bit of misdirection.

40. Stella says:

Thanks scchua et al for the explanations of the couple I couldn’t quite parse.

Hi Michelle, 24ac is CHIN(ese) GORD(on’s) (ie., the last 3 letters off each, not 2) +ER (an expression of doubt or vacillation) in MARS

41. Aztobesed says:

Re CHESSMAN.

I had it as one of Araucaria’s occasional ‘punctuation clues’. It makes sense wtith the addition of a full stop or a similar punctuation -

Piece, if black. Maybe red.

42. Ian SW3 says:

[[I gather that Manchester's WHEEL has LEFT (dismantled and sent to Edinburgh), though that seems rather unconvincing. I am none the wiser on any of the other pictures, apart from the already-explained S. Cram (whoever he is).]]

43. scchua says:

Thanks for all your comments (it’s typical of A. puzzle that there are a lot of comments).
    I’ve corrected the blog for my errors in 10 across, 15 across, 24 across, and 5 down.
    Re CHESSMAN, I wasn’t sure of my explanation as there was no indication in the clue that it was referring to former times. And that is why I added “Today …..”
    Re RIGHT FACE: it looks as if the jury’s still out.
    chas@35 and Giovanna@36, yes that is Jenny Lind on the Swedish banknote.

44. PeterO says:

Azedtobesed @41

Could you perhaps expand on the sense you see in the clue; it seems to me that adding the full stop makes an obscure clue even more enigmatic. The best I could come up with is, to paraphrase:

A chessman, if of the side conventionally called black, may actually be red.

sidey # 39

I think that you have nailed down 2D at last. ‘singularly’ says MARCHING ORDER, not that FIGHT and RACE are the singular forms of their respective plurals, and ‘incorrect’ because RIGHT FACE is a stationary, not marching, manoeuvre.

45. scchua says:

[[John Appleton et al: S(teve) CRAM, British middle-distance runner, was nicknamed the Jarrow Arrow. Robi, it is Leslie Caron, but you've got the wrong film; similarly it is Manchester, but the wrong connection. I'll add links to the answers later.]]

46. Aztobesed says:

PeterO @ 44

I imagined it conversationally -”Piece, if black…” and as an afterthought, “Maybe red…” i.e if it was black it could be describing a CHESSMAN but the afterthought is that, actually red also works. Perhaps a full stop is a little strong – maybe brackets, though my first instinct if I had to put it in a script would be to separate it with a full-stop. Whatever the strength, I feel there’s a pause after ‘black’ which allows me to hear its sense.

47. muck says:

Thanks scchua esp for 7 TASSO. I confidently entered Tesco despite thinking they were selling horse rather than eatiing it. A fooled a few of us, entirely fairly.

48. scchua says:

Aztobesed@46, your explanation also hinges on the fact that it could be red and white instead of black and white, which already is an interpretation of the clue as is ie. without any additional punctuation.

49. scchua says:

[[And (sorry for missing out earlier) NormanLinFrance@17, it is the Colorado River Toad, whose skin and venom contain a couple of ENTHEOGENs.]]

50. Aztobesed says:

scchua @48

All I meant was that how it made some sense to me was that an afterthought had occurred to the speaker after they had tried to clue “A piece, if black…”. Black and a piece will get you to CHESSMAN – of course there is an alternative line reading that “A piece – if black may be red” (as well) but I prefer “A piece, if black… (or) Maybe red…” Either way is just a way of saying, in chess the alternative to white is either black or red, I agree. But as it is, the clue has a slightly ‘rogue emphasis’ without a dash of punctuation.

What is plainer is that I neglected to thank you for the blog, which I now remedy.

51. MDatta says:

Beaten by ENTHEOGEN but no shame in that. Loved Tesco. Once again a moving strain of poignantly self referential answers, this time around the bluff 24ac. Thank you A.

52. M. Lazar says:

Araucaria, I’m beginning to get it. As with all x-words, it’s persistence + seeing what is at the end of your nose…

53. Paul says:

Red Chessmen – remember the Red Queen Alice meets in Through the Looking Glass? She’s a Chess piece, not a playing card (which is the Queen of Hearts in the other book).

Oh and nice to have stumbled across you. Will definitely look in again.

54. Ian SW3 says:

[[Leslie Caron was of course in American in Paris, featuring the music of and borrowing its title from GERSHWIN. Perhaps there was a sequel called "Mancunian in Paris."]]

55. scchua says:

[[Ian SW3@54, your comment came in while I was pasting the links to the answers. You're right about Leslie Caron of course, and I know you're being tongue-in-cheeky about the other one.]]

56. PeterO says:

Azedtobesed @46

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that your interpretation of the clue is not so far from mine. My confusion lay in that separating ‘piece, if black’ from the rest of the clue suggests to me that the piece must be black to be a chessman.

57. Ian SW3 says:

[[Sorry, but the link to number 2 is no help to me. A player from a football club in the city pictured got his marching orders?]]

58. scchua says:

[[Not only the player but his team, named after the city, got dismissed from the competition as well. And it's topical, having happened 2 days ago.]]

59. Robi says:

[[Ian@57, I think it is the player getting his MARCHING ORDERS. I did get the right explanation @37, just the wrong clue link!]]

60. Kriscros says:

Once again a delight to solve another Araucaria gem, with the master using all his fortes covering (sic) a wide range of layered clues.
    Thanks scchua for the entertaining blog too

61. Sam says:

Our parsing of 25 – CHESSMAN was that an SS MAN might be black and CHE was certainly a red. Typing it now, and after reading the comments, makes me less sure…

Oh, and another TESCO victim here, though I wasn’t happy with the syntax and was desperately looking for a more satisfying answer. I should have tried harder.

62. rhotician says:

Imagine trying to explain this to someone who is learning about crosswords by way of Everyman in The Observer, say.

BEGONE, BEATIT, GO AWAY, SCRAM for ‘marching orders’, a very nice cryptic definition.

‘singularly incorrect marching orders’ – well, some drill commands might be described as marching orders and RIGHT FACE is a (single) such command, or order, except, erm, that it’s not actually a marching order so this definition is incorrect, so to be fair we have to say so. Are you with me, so far. No?

Not much point in going into the homophone for ‘single state’ then. Double wordplay constructions are unusual, though, especially when one of them is this dodgy.

As for ENTHEOGEN, you need access to a computer for that. You don’t need your Chambers for ‘nepethne’ but you might learn something forgettable.

‘most of Chinese Gordon’ is unusual and ‘more than semi-disloyal’ doubly so.

As for the surfaces, ’1320 yards of silk’ is a bit extravagant. ‘Left part of part of London Bridge in tree’? Well, like you do, don’t you.

All in all, a barrel of monkeys, or monkey’s even.