Guardian 25,895 – Paul

Posted by manehi on March 14th, 2013

manehi.

Fun from Paul, without being too tricky. Favourites were 22ac and 1dn.

10 SEA ANEMONE =”water-dweller” SEEM=”appear” around A+AN=”two articles”,+ ONE
11 REVERB =”Rock guitarist’s assistant” EVER=”always” inside R and B
12 NON-EATER =”faster” NONE=”Zero” + (rate)*
13 MANGANESE =”element” MANE=”pride of lions” around rev(SNAG) around gazell[E]
15 LIMA =”capital city” hidden in [Ki]LIMA[njaro]
16 LARK =”bird” L=fifty + ARK=”pairs of animals found here”
17 BREAKNECK =”very quick” NECK=”kiss” a’fter BREAK=”holiday”
21 HOOVER UP =”eat” OVER=”more than” and U=you, all inside HOP=dance
22 MAMMON =”riches” M[ilitary] + AM MON[day]=”first twelve hours of the week”
24,9 GOOD CAREER MOVE is how Vidal described Capote’s death (over comrade ego)*
25 DUTY =”Responsibility” [elude]D [yo]U [jus]T [latel]Y
26 LOLITA =”book” LOL=laugh + [ep]ITA[ph]
27,1 TRUMAN CAPOTE =Writer” TRUMAN=”president” + CAPOTE=a cape=”habit”
1 CHOLERA =”disease” HOLER=”one successfully putting” (in golf), inside CA[t] – the Manx cat is tail-less
2 PIECE =”Bit” sounds like “peace”
3 TEST BAN =”Treaty barring nuclear trials” (best)* in TAN=”shade” of brown
5 MANANA =”later” MA + NANA=”women of two generations”
6 DAMNATION =”hell” DAM=”stop” + NATION=”people”
7 MANDELA =”Leader of Africa” AND=”also” in MELA=”Hindu festival”
8 PAINT STRIPPER is “caustic” soda (prints it)* in PAPER=”publication”
14 GORE VIDAL =”great wit” DIVER=”one coming down” reversed (“coming up”) inside GOAL=”end”
16 LOO ROLL =”tissue” [p]OOR=”Bad wiping face” in LOLL=”bum”=laze around
18 ADMIRER =”lover” (Married)*
19 CROUTON =”little bit of food” CON[servative]=”Party” around ROUT=”defeat”
20 BREAST =”Some turkey” suppe[R] in BEAST=”pig”
23,4 MADAM I’M ADAM =”Introduction to Eve” and is a palindrome

24 Responses to “Guardian 25,895 – Paul”

1. michelle says:

There was so much to enjoy in this clever and witty puzzle by Paul. But I have to admit that I only managed to finish it with very generous use of the “check” button.

I liked 12, 16, 10, 22 & 17.

My absolute favourites were MADAM I’M ADAM, GOOD CAREER MOVE, DAMNATION, MANANA & LOLITA.

I learnt a new word: ‘mela’ in 7d.

I solved but could not parse 16d, 1a, 1d & 13.

Thanks for the blog, manehi.

PS. Your blog seems to have missed out on 1, 4 and 9 across. The first one that I can see is 10a.

2. NeilW says:

Thanks, manehi. As you say, good fun from Paul, complete with the signature toilet humour!

michelle @1, the “missing” solutions can be found together with their associated clue numbers.

3. molonglo says:

Thanks manehi. Only trouble was with parsing 16d (too too Paul- I simply gave up, knowing the answer was right), and wondering why the question mark in 24,9.

4. george says:

Like Michelle I needed a fairly generous use of the check button with this, but did not have to resort to cheating today.

Like Molonglo I had trouble parsing LOO ROLL and a couple of others, so thanks Manehi for the blog.

Lots of the solutions made me smile and it was literally LOL when I solved 26ac.

5. Gervase says:

Thanks, manehi.

Typical Paul, but with some unusually easy clues dotted about. MADAM, I’M ADAM is an old chestnut, incorporated into an Oulipian palindromic poem by JA Lindon. Like molonglo, I couldn’t parse 16d, but the answer seemed obvious right from getting the initial L.

I thought there might be a bit of an American political theme, with TRUMAN, HOOVER and GORE, but I can’t find anyone else…

6. rhotician says:

16dn: ‘bad’ and ‘bum’ are synonyms, which is nicely confusing. The whole thing is semi-&lit and would still work without ’tissue’. It’s addition is a kindness on Paul’s part to compensate us for the constipated wordplay.

7. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Paul

A clever and enjoyable puzzle. 23,4 was a write in for me but clearly not for everyone, so OK.

I particularly liked 12a, 24,9 (COD), 1d, 8d. I managed to parse 16d correctly.

I did not notice the ‘politcal theme’ but I did wonder about the fact that almost 30% of the lights were filled from the letters K, L, M, N and O and nearly half of these were M and N – almost a ‘study in mid-alphabet’.

8. John Appleton says:

Great effort from Paul. The thematic answers took a while; although all were familiar to me, I wasn’t aware of the link between them.

9. Robi says:

Good puzzle, although I didn’t know/had forgotten the Vidal quote.

Thanks manehi for the blog and explaining the GORE VIDAL clue.

If you want more of the MADAM I’M ADAM, you’ll enjoy Weird “Al” Yankovic singing ‘Bob.’

10. Apple Granny says:

Another fun challenge. We semi-invented the Vidal quote – it rang some sort of bell. Like others we failed to parse “loo roll”, and I’m ashamed to say, we wrote in Manana without fully seeing where the women were! First in was 1d. Last in was Lolita 26a, having left Loo roll until the end, hoping to get inspiration!

11. Jaguar says:

First Guardian crossword I’ve attempted let alone completed in a while. Some clever clues in there and the surface reading of 16d in particular is outrageous! Lots of words new to me though e.g. 22a, 5d, wordplay in 7d. Thanks Paul.

12. Trailman says:

Just got there after an after-lunch start. Worked out Vidal fairly quickly, erroneously assumed 27 1 would be a politico (encouraged by Hoover), hence ages to Capote; then didn’t know the caustic (cf 8d) quote. It’s good though to learn something from a xwd, as well as demonstrate one’s knowledge, so thanks Paul. Thanks Manehi too for parsing the parts I couldn’t reach.

13. muffin says:

Thanks Paul and manehi
    After a false start with “Angela Carter” instead of “Truman Capote” it went smoothly in. CHOLERA was my favourite.

Just a minor point about 22ac – aren’t the first 12 hours of the week SUNDAY morning? The clue doesn’t specify “working week”.

14. Derek Lazenby says:

Are we not brought up to “not speak ill of the recently deceased”? What a shame then that Paul had to resurrect such nastiness in 24,9. Being famous does not convert such unpleasantness into wit.

The rest of the puzzle was all quite jolly.

15. Mitz says:

Thanks Paul and manehi.

Breezed through this, except for an embarrassing mix up over how to spell ANEMONE which makes the NE corner of the grid in my paper look like a bomb has hit it. Loved the mini-theme – muffin @13, I’m pleased to say you weren’t the only one to think of Angela Carter first, but I can’t agree with you regarding the days of the week: Monday is definitely first in my book. “…and on the seventh day he rested”, surely?

DL @ 14 – nothing like a good feud, no? I bet if Vidal had popped off first Capote would have had something equally withering to contribute to his epitaph.

A small extra to consider for 26: I would take the whole of the phrase “that made me laugh” to mean LOL, not just “laugh” itself.

My favourite was HOOVER-UP, closely followed by MANANA which was my last in – simple but very effective.

16. kenj says:

re#13
    In the Christian world, Sunday is the seventh day of the week, on which God rested after creation.
    So Monday is the first day of the week.
    May be different for other faiths.

17. muffin says:

kenj @16
    In Jewish tradition (which predates Christian, of course) the Sabbath – the day of rest – is (essentially) Saturday – from sunset on Friday until stars are seen on Saturday evening.
    From this various languages derive their day names – for instance, Saturday in Italian is “Sabato”

18. Mitz says:

Fair point re: Judaism having the prior claim. I suppose for me it boils down to Sunday evening invariably feeling like the end of something, before girding one’s loins to do it all again on Monday morning…

19. MDatta says:

24, 9 great anagram, don’t you think?

20. brucew_aus says:

Thanks Paul and manehi

Paul near his best for me – quite a challenge punctuated with his characteristic humour in both surfaces and answers. Hadn’t heard of the Adam palindrome before, so it generated a laugh.

Last in was MANGANESE after wasting time trying to justify largeness for a little while. Was another who needed help to parse LOO ROLL and thankfully the surface actually related to the answer.

Good fun – did others find this more challenging than last week’s Prize?

21. Martin P says:

Jolly good from Paul, I needed to search which added interest.

Only minor grumble-I’m sure it’s been covered-is “manana” which has an accent over the first n. I always understood that such letters are separate in the respective languages’ alphabets.

Thanks all posters.

22. rhotician says:

Re days of the week. Paul is complying with ISO-8601. The Guardian crossword editor is very strict about this sort of thing.

23. Huw Powell says:

Thanks for the parsing of 16 and 14 (which I didn’t get until I had all the checks – HOOVER UP came very slowly!).

What fun!

I checked 12 and 16a as especially witty.

Wanted 16d to be bog roll until I got 16a.

Got LOLITA on the toilet (yes, I bring these with me everywhere). LOL = “that made me laugh” of course. It was expanding the “middle of epitaph” that cracked it.

Thanks for the blog, Manehi, and for the lovely enjoyable waste of time, Paul!

24. Huw Powell says:

Oh I forget to mention that in 14 Paul could have been cheeky by using “one who goes down” instead of “one coming down”. And it would have been a better clue.