Beelzebub 1,201

Posted by Simon Harris on March 17th, 2013

Simon Harris.

A very tough week. There was plenty to look up, both definitions and wordplay elements, much of which was only to be found in Chambers. The wordplay for 7ac eludes me, while 27ac and 28db have beaten me completely. The relevant clues have been reproduced.

1 BANDANNA – BAND + ANNA[l].
7 ORFEFit to eat this fish? That’d be fine.
11 AGEING – A + (EIN in (G + G)).
13 ONCER – NO< + CE + R, and a very nice &lit.
14 REVVED – (V + V) in REED.
15 ECLATC in TALE<.
16 PACKAGE – KAG[o] in PACE.
17 POLYSYNDETON – POLY + SYN + NOTE<.
18 ENGUARD – (A GERUND)*.
23 EATABLE – EA + TABLE.
25 THE GODFATHER – G[overnment] in (TED HEATH FOR)*.
27 SOL?NA?Like sand, say, at heart bowled over as tides develop.
29 HOKUM – OK in HUM.
30 KILLUT – KILL + [p]UT.
31 NICAMC in MAIN<.
32 ASLOPE – A + S + LOPE.
33 PANG – PAN + G.
34 NYSTATIN – N.Y. + STATIN[g].
1 BARB – BAR B, which would be second to BAR A.
2 NEVEL – (L + EVEN)<.
3 DIVVY UP – DIVVY + [c]UP.
4 AN ESSAY ON MAN – A[theism] + (NAMES + ANNOYS)*.
5 NOTANDA – NOT + AND + A.
6 ANECDOTALIST – (ATLAS NOTICED)*.
8 RELATE – [p]RELATE.
9 FRAGOR – RAG in FOR.
10 ENTENDER – END in ENTER.
12 GET ONG + ETON.
17 PEATSHIP – HAPPIEST*. The writer in question is Sir Walter Scott.
19 RED ARMY – (D in REAR) + MY.
20 PATELLA – T[hese] in PAELLA.
21 BHOONAH in (A NOOB)<.
22 WELKIN – WEL[l] + KIN.
24 LET UP – (PUT + EL)<.
26 HELOT – [t]HE LOT.
28 ?TENReduced tax bound to satisfy Scots.

7 Responses to “Beelzebub 1,201”

1. Jake says:

Does anyone have this weeks Beelzebub they could email me please?

Thanks.

[email protected]

2. Joan MM says:

27 Solunar (to do with tides) It’s ‘granulose’, like sand. The heart is ‘anulos’ and ‘bowled over’ means it’s reversed, leading to Solunar. I don’t think ‘heart’ really leads to the majority of the word, but it’s all I came up with!

3. Joan MM says:

I think I had ‘sten’ – only because ‘stent’ fits the ‘tax’ part.

4. Joan MM says:

Re 27, I should have said that ‘solunar’ wasn’t in Chambers – I got it from one of my other dictionaries (probably the Oxford Dictionary of English).

5. Dormouse says:

28dn – I had “sten” too, which Chambers does define as a Scottish word for a bound. (It’s under “stend”.)

I couldn’t parse 7ac, either.

6. Simon Harris says:

Thanks everyone. I think I’ve just grasped 7ac. It’s that if FIT were to eat ORFE, you’d have FORFEIT, which is a fine. Very clever – too clever for me!

7. Dormouse says:

7ac – obvious, now that it has been explained. Thanks, Simon.