Everyman No. 3466 (10th March)

Posted by The Trafites on March 17th, 2013

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all.

I have to say I struggled slightly this week especially with the top right hand corner. I had to Google the Preminger film. Favourites this week were 14, 16, 19, 23 and 25ac, 1, 3, 5, 13 and 15dn.

Big thank you to Everyman for making my brain work harder than usual. :)

1. Old lady tucked into wicked things, this being a feast day? (9)
CANDLEMAS MA in CANDLES(wicked things!)
6. Dissident bishop in part of film (5)
REBEL B in REEL
9. Raised saw made more modern (7)
UPDATED UP+DATED[saw, as in going out with somebody]
10. Second name on it initially stumped worker (7)
INSTANT (N after[on] I(t))+ST(stumped)+ANT
11. Swear remedy must involve sulphur (5)
CURSE S in CURE
12. Relaxed call, we might deduce? (4,4)
LAID BACK pun on ‘DIAL’[call] reversed, i.e. LAID back…
14. Easy pickings, since elderly guy is after brass (5,3,3,4)
MONEY FOR OLD ROPE (FOR[since]+OLD+ROPE[guy]) after MONEY
16. Appear to score and fulfil an obligation (4,2,2,7)
COME UP TO SCRATCH COME UP+TO+SCRATCH
19. Cinema broadcast shows nervous wrens meeting slippery character (8)
NEWSREEL (WRENS*)+EEL
20. Confined to school, some cheating at Edmonton (5)
GATED hidden: cheatinG AT EDmonton
23. Design style redcoat ordered (3,4)
ART DECO (REDCOAT)*
24. Identical costume (7)
UNIFORM dd
25. Painter meant to be different (5)
MANET (MEANT)*
26. One’s mood following onset of deadly viral illness (9)
DISTEMPER (I’S TEMPER) after D(eadly)

1. They’re proverbially poor children supported by posh children in organised crime (6,4)
CHURCH MICE CH+U[posh, Upper class]+(CH in (CRIME*))
2. Lowest point in drain in need of repair (5)
NADIR (DRAIN)*
3. Draw left good swimmer last in relay (7)
LOTTERY L+OTTER+(rela)Y
4. Conventional place of refuge? (6-2-3-4)
MIDDLE-OF-THE-ROAD dd
5. Flying solo, first up – is it in a famous plane? (6,2,2,5)
SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS (SOLO, FIRST UP – IS IT)* & lit.
6. Became hostile, friend in Preminger film (7)
ROSEBUD ROSE+BUD
7. Fight involving cattle station that is to diversify (6,3)
BRANCH OUT BOUT around RANCH
8. Departed behind schedule (4)
LATE dd
13. Ambassador, in December, somehow produces a delicacy (5-2-3)
BECHE-DE-MER HE[ambassador] in (DECEMBER*)
15. A political address? (6,3)
NUMBER TEN cd
17. Dirty seat over in a Parisian street (7)
UNSWEPT (PEW<) in (UN['a' in French]+ST)
18. I’m great playing Scott Joplin music (7)
RAGTIME (I’M GREAT)*
21. Miserable time for returning flock (5)
TROOP (POOR+T)<
22. Motorway below remote croft (4)
FARM FAR+M

12 Responses to “Everyman No. 3466 (10th March)”

1. michelle says:

My favourite was CANDLEMAS (wicked things!) and I also enjoyed the wordplay for REBEL, LOTTERY, NUMBER TEN, BECHE-DE-MER & UNSWEPT

New words that I learnt were COME UP TO SCRATCH, SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS, MONEY FOR OLD ROPE.

Last in was TROOP.

Thanks for the blog, Lorraine.

2. Robi says:

Enjoyable solve; wicked clue for 1a.

Thanks Lorraine; I didn’t know BECHE-DE-MER, although the anagram yielded quite easily.

As well as CANDLEMAS, I particularly liked MONEY FOR OLD ROPE.

Thanks, Lorraine. BECHE-DE-MER a new one for me too, but it was clearly signposted, so as Robi said, it yielded in the end. I too liked CANDLEMAS: ‘wicked’ has been used before, of course, but it’s always misleading.

Thanks too to Everyman.

[BTW, Lorraine, it was 10th March in my time zone when I solved this ...]

4. John says:

I think I might regret asking this, but why are candles ‘wicked things’?

5. John says:

Oh, just got it !

6. Anthony Cunningham says:

Still baffled as to why candles are ‘wicked things’?

7. colin says:

Anthony @6

Because they have wicks! It’s become a bit of a crossword cliche (sorry can’t do the accent).

8. Anthony Cunningham says:

Doh! That’s awful.

Thanks, Colin.

9. The Trafites says:

Ref. ‘WICKED’. As stated, it is an old crossword clue misdirect.

WICKED (pronounced WICK’ED) = EVIL.

But WICKED (rhymes with NICKED) means ‘having a wick’.

Another, e.g. is ‘FLOWER’. ‘Tis not a flower (but might be), but can be read as FLOWER (rhymes with ROWER) – meaning a river, sewer etc.

Compilers get up to all sorts of such tricks – and sometimes it makes when solving the clue a *bingo* moment.

Nick

10. Paul B says:

By the pricking of my thumbs …

11. Paul B says:

… and thus a candle was brought to a stage at Stratford. O how the audience tittered. And screamed for a refund.

12. jaya says:

Folks…i was not surprised to note this but still one cannot help gasping when one sees it with ones own eyes…this crossword figured in today’s(may 5 ’13 Sunday) “The Hindu” – a newspaper that may south indians read – and keep track of for…yes the crossword – at least i do.
    I came looking for the “money for old dope” clue (honestly i got most of the rest without much help – getting used to these cryptic ones slowly :-))…

Needless to say any more – this puzzle is a few months old already on the net!
    The solution too and per unwritten rule… duly copied from here (this site) to another similarly-intended blog…
    Much runs around here under the cut-copy-paste principle…after all we believe in reusing many times after creating once…

:-))))
    have you all a good weekend.