Beelzebub 1,203

Posted by Simon Harris on March 31st, 2013

Simon Harris.

A fairly tough challenge, I thought. There was plenty to confim in Chambers before blogging, but I think I’ve managed to explain everything this week.

1 SEANAD – A in DANES<.
6 WRISTS in WRIT.
11 LAVALIERE – LAVA + LIE + RE.
12 IDOL – IDO + L. Ido is apparently a revised version of Esperanto.
14 LIERNE – ER in LINE.
15 LEWISSON – WI[t] in LESSON. An iron dovetailed tenon, made in sections, which can be fitted into a dovetail mortise.
17 CAMPLEC + AMPLE.
18 CONTAMINATED – CON + (MET IN DATA)*.
19 ALL-EMBRACING -ALLE[y] + MB + RACING.
22 LAURELA in (LURE + L).
25 PAPPOOSE – (OP + PA)< in POSE.
26 LEGLINL + E.G. + NIL<.
27 MUST – dd.
28 ACCORDANT – (ON CARD)* in ACT.
29 AYRES – [dec]AY RES[tored].
30 REALLY – [programm]E in RALLY.
1 SLILYS + LILY.
2 AVOWSW + [d]AVOS.
3 ALISMA – IS in ALMA. Apparently an “alma” is an Egyptian dancing girl.
4 DISSEMBLANCE – (CALMNESS I’D BE)*.
5 VELOCIRAPTOR – ((LOCI + RAP) in VETO) + R. I thought “places blame” was particularly nice for LOCI + RAP.
7 REEDMACE – RE + ED[a]M + ACE.
8 IRRUPT – PURR< in (I + T).
9 SINGLENESS – SIN + (E[state]S in GLENS).
10 TIERED – TIE + RED.
13 DESOLATELY – ODES* + LATELY.
16 PTERYLAE – ([w]ERE APTLY)*.
19 ALALIA – [gener]AL A LIA[bility].
20 LUGGER – [p]LUGGER.
21 ASPIRE – AS + P[rotest] + IRE.
23 JOUAL – JOU[rn]AL. A type of French from Quebec, in fact.
24 JETTY – dd. Nicely done: Black pier.

5 Responses to “Beelzebub 1,203”

1. Jake says:

Simon thanks for the blog. I found this easier than last weeks. Being new to Beelzebub (this was my third) they seem to be easing up a little.

2. Simon Harris says:

Welcome, Jake! I think Beelzebub is a wonderful crossword, if a little underrated, so it’s great to have new solvers drop by. Can’t say I found this one easy myself, but I like a challenge anyway :)

3. Jake says:

Hi Simon, thanks.

I’m used to barred puzzles, but Beelzebub is hard to get hold of where I am – I’m always looking for someone to send me it weekly.

Yes, wonderful puzzle and as you say underrated! I wish the editor would provide an online version. Then, may be, people would attempt it more often?

4. Conrad Cork says:

I agree, a wonderful series of puzzles. Any paucity in the number of fans is amply compensated by their devotion to it and the fierceness of their loyalty.

Jake – what a good idea about an online version. You can get Mephisto and Azed so why not? Is anyone listening?

5. Jake says:

Hi Conrad,

There appears to be an online version – click link:

However, it also appears to be a week behind and a charge of £0.68p (per paper issue).

If the link does not work, googling Beelzebub crossword should take you there.