Inquisitor 1274: MODESTY by Kruger

Posted by Hihoba on April 3rd, 2013

Hihoba.

An artistic and musical offering this week from Kruger.

The rubric said “Wordplay in the majority of clues yields an extra letter. In order, these spell out a phrase which provide a clue to the six otherwise unclued entries (in which articles are ignored). In the completed grid, solvers must highlight the original source of the phrase and those who repeated it, in a rather different style, many years later (13 cells in total).”

After a slow start on the bottom half I found little of help in unravelling the theme. ??U??OY – possibly HAUTBOY (wrong!) being the only unclued answer with enough letters to make a guess.

Moving into the top half via the discovery of acts of destruction and a giant butterfly  I had ?AY?AI? which looked like HAYWAIN – so we were looking for pictures. ????WRE?K must be SHIPWRECK, and so S??E?M must be SCREAM.

So we are looking for pictures minus their definite articles, and I rapidly discovered the following six:

The SHIPWRECK (Turner), The SCREAM (Munch), The HAYWAIN (Constable), The BLUE BOY (Gainsborough), and IRISES and The SOWER (van Gogh)

The extra letters now made sense as PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION.

The musical work with this title is by MODEST (not MODESTY, but close enough!) MUSSORGSKY.

I now misread the rubric, thinking I was looking for 13 letters to represent those who repeated it, in a rather different style, many years later. A search for RAVEL, HENRY WOOD, TUSHMALOV etc. – the orchestrators of the original piano piece – yielded nothing (though WOOD is there in a rather distorted fashion.

The only other version I could find was by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. If I took MUSSORGSKY’s 10 letters there were only three left, and I spotted ELP in 22D (skELPs). A quick search and it seems that ELP is an acceptable abbreviation for Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I’ve never heard of or heard the ELP version. Perhaps someone will tell me if it is worth seeking out.

Excellent crossword, so thank you Kruger.

Inq 1274 G1

No.  Clue (definition)  Answer  Wordplay (Extra letter)
 6  Noodle soupdisgusting! (3)  PHO  Double meaning
 8  Businesses were introduced to wharfs (7)  METIERS  MET (were introduced) + (P)IERS (wharfs)  P
 9  Man kidnapped by Brazilians (4)  ILAN  Hidden in BrazIL(I)ANs  I
 10  Grub up – German dish (4)  ROUT  (C)ROUT is sauerkraut  C
 11  Popular old brood can be seen (5, 2 words)  IN EYE  IN (popular) + EYE (brood of pheasants)
 12  Acts of destruction upset senoritas (8)  ERASIONS  [SENORI(T)AS]*  T
 14  Gripped by great enthusiasm, abruptly smear leader of nationalists – like a malignant critic (7)  ZOILEAN  ZEA(l) (great enthusiasm abruptly) round OIL (smear) + N(ationalists)
 15  Mostly bigger rival heard huge butterfly (6)  MORPHO  MOR(e) (mostly bigger) + sounds like FOE (rival heard)
 17  Women eye Scottish university to enrol initially ineffectual person (6)  WEENIE  W(omen) + EE (eye Scottish) + (U)NI(versity) + E(nrol)  U
 18  It manages to enter borders of Iran – repulsive predator (6)  INFLOW  I(ra)N + WOLF reversed
 20  Sap makes these errors – beginning to rile men at the front (6)  ROSINS  R(ile) + O(R) (men) + SINS (errors)  R
 23  Frogs leaked plan to English (7)  RANIDAE  RAN (leaked) + ID(E)A (plan) + E(nglish)  E
 27  Cut, so sent back – covered by guarantee (8)  INCISURE  IN(S)URE (guarantee) round SIC (so) reversed  S
 28  Question employer essentially about your health (4)  SKOL  (A)SK (question) +empLOyer reversed (about)  A
 29  Impetuosity of sadly late knight (4)  ELAN  [LA(T)E]* + N (Knight – chess)  T
 30  Kill carried out with artful dexterity (3)  SLY  SL(A)Y (kill)
 31  Doctor spills the beans about drug on special bandages (9)  DRESSINGS  DR (doctor) SINGS (spills the beans) round E (drug) + S(pecial)
 No.  Clue (definition)  Answer  Wordplay (Extra letter)
 1  United embraced by inane foreign boy (5)  IEUAN  [INA(N)E]* round U(nited)  N
 2  Fairly broad hope to conceal identity (6)  WIDISH  WISH (hope) round ID(entity)
 3  Scarf oddly earned by dim- witted fellow (6)  REBOZO  (E)aRnEd (oddly) + BOZO  E
 4  Before this time in Spain, king was the victor in uprising… (6)  ERENOW  E (Spain) + RE(X) + WON reversed  X
 5  …without monarch’s family finally sinking lower in estimation (8)  KINGLESS  KIN (family) + (sinkin)G + LESS (lower)
 6  Cadet’s place: beside Veronica(5)  PLEBE  PL(ace) + (H)EBE (Veronica)  H
 7  Whereby single person meets another once (twice when clubs are included) (6)  ONE-ONE  Add two C(lub)s and you get ONCE twice! Good clue!
 8  Longer root (4)  MORE  Double meaning
 13  Scottish Premier League mean to ban new offensive player (8, 2 words) (American football)  SPLIT END  SPL + I(n)TEND (mean without N(ew))
 16  Roaming lion (or a leopard) originally having continued success (7 3 words)  ON A ROLL  [L(I)ON OR A L(eopard)]*  I
 19  British Waterways plan to make a profit – an excuse in manipulation (6)  WANGLE  (B)W + ANGLE (plan to make a profit)  B
 20  Icterus affected muscle (6)  RECTUS  [(I)CTERUS]*  I
 21  Old soldiers nursing veteran’s ribs (6)  OGIVES  O(ld) GIS (soldiers) round VE(T)  T
 22  Moves briskly along first part of seashore before seaweed reaches island (6)  SKELPS  S(eashore) + KELP (seaweed) + (I)S(land)  I
 24  From Oslo perhaps? That’s not right – absolutely not! (5, 2 words)  NO WAY  NO(r)WAY
 25  Second person to know not completely wild territory (5)  YUKON  Y(O)U (second person) + [KNO(w)]*  O
 26  Ancient city’s market place at rear of quay (4)  TROY  TRO(N) + (qua)Y  N

12 Responses to “Inquisitor 1274: MODESTY by Kruger”

1. Joan MM says:

I really enjoyed this. My only problem was the ‘ELP’ that runs upwards in 4 Down – in crosswords, highlighted things often run upwards (or backwards or diagonally). I settled for the ELP in the bottom right-hand corner.
    ‘Modesty’ didn’t bother me – I suppose it could be thought of as ‘modest-y’, like Modest, in the style of Modest.
    The ELP album is, allegedly, a seminal work.

2. Bertandjoyce says:

The unclued answers kept usguessing for a while but when we spotted HAYWAIN and the possibility of BLUE BOY all the rest fell into place.

We knew it was a classical piece which had been the inspiration for an ELP album. We can’t say it was one of our favourites so cannot offer our recommendation! We needed a search for the composer though.

Thanks Hihoba and Kruger. We’d forgotten to check out the link with the title so thanks in particular for that!

3. Rob H says:

Thanks Hihoba and Kruger for an excellent puzzle and blog.

I managed to get most of the top half in place to start with so, looking along the diagonals,spotted quite quickly that the key-word was a toss-up between Mussolini or Mussorgsky. The Modesty title gave it away of course.

This brought back some school memories as the ELP version was frequently played on our 6th-form common room record player, along with other prog rock stuff (Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes etc.) with smatterings of folk and blues (Steeleye Span, Fairport)as well as subversive stuff like Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa – this was pre-punk days of course. In fact I wasn’t even aware of the original Mussorgsky version until being forced to attend a version of a Brecht play (in German, for A-level)) when a recording was played pre-performance. I enjoy and would recommend both versions – I have them both (inc. the Stokowski transcription) on my I-Pod.

4. starburst says:

Very enjoyable, and not overly-reliant on knowing arcane phrases from old Radio 4 programmes…

I’m not really familiar with the theme here but the crucial difference between this and the previous week’s offering is that it can quite fairly be deduced

Great stuff

5. D.Reynolds says:

I think Courbet’s ‘The Sower’ might be what Kruger had in mind. This was a clever way to celebrate Inquisitor’s broad cultural range [what happened this week, of all weeks though?]
    Thanks for a great puzzle [and blog].

6. D.Reynolds says:

Millet’s ‘The Sower’ is what i should have written of course!

7. Jake says:

This was great, very enjoyable. A few guesses were needed in the unclued cells and it all came together a treat.

Very good Kruger.

8. twencelas says:

Many thanks Kruger – never thought I would get my favourite band in a themed crossword. As to those who wonder on the quality of their interpretation of Mussorgsky’s piece – it’s well worth a listen in my opinion : the full album is on youtube – recorded on the organ at Newcastle City hall in 1971.
    Thanks to Hihoba too for an excellent blog

9. regalize says:

‘elp, ‘elp! Didn’t need too much with this one as I have the vinyl still. A little wry smile from me with 8across (wharfs) which I tried on my one miserable Countdown performance and which was not allowed as it wasn’t in the ODE. Huh.
    Kruger is one of my favourite setters. Thanks to him and to Hihoba.

10. Kruger says:

My thanks to Hihoba and those commenting.

I’m showing my age by revealing that I was actually at Newcastle City Hall in 1971 for the ELP recording – so I’m on it somewhere! I still think it is a classic.

11. Nick says:

I enjoyed the puzzle very much thanks Kruger. I have never heard of the album and never was a great fan but themes like this are solvable when you don’t know the theme and in some respects I feel more rewarded when I don’t know it. Whether it is an album by ELP or a radio show (ran for about 17 years by the way)it may be to one man cult and to another obscure. One could argue though that now most of us use the Internet to search themes setters need to find more obscure themes or they become too easy to find.

12. HolyGhost says:

Now back from walking St.Cuthbert’s Way – didn’t see Duncan tho’. I found this to be one of the easier recent IQs … but that’s OK.

I did think it odd to have two ‘pictures’ by Van Gogh in the puzzle, so thanks to D.Reynolds (@ #5 & #6) for reminding us of “The Sower” by Millet.

(And, yes, I agree with Joan MM @ #1 that it’s a pity about the ELP running up at the top of column 10.)