Financial Times 14,279 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on April 5th, 2013

Jed.

Highly recommended

1 MACAWS birds CAM< (river winding round) (WAS)*

4 CRABMEAT food (BAR CAME)* T (time)

9 NANTES French port SET NAN< (determined grandma back)

10 STALLION horse TALL in SION (Jerusalem)

12, 27 FAUSTIAN PACT satanic deal (ACT UP IF SATAN)*

13 GREENE Graham GREEN (raw) E (English)

15 LARK dd

16 JUSTICE fairness JUST (only) ICE (wintry aspect)

20 WINSTON Churchill &lit WINS (victories) TO [natio]N

21 PARR Katherine ‘survived’ PAR (what’s expected) R (king)

25 HASSLE bother (LASHES)*

26 BACKYARD DRAY< (back)

28 TALESMAN bystander who becomes member of jury (LAST NAME)*

29 INTACT flawless IN (regarding) TACT (diplomacy)

30 PERORATE use rhetoric PERFORATE (use riddle) minus F

31 HYPHEN mark in A-level

1 MANIFOLD multifunctional MAN IF OLD or infirm may walk with a stick

2 CONQUERS takes control sounds like CONKERS (game)

3 WREATH garland sounds like Lord John Reith DG of BBC

5 RITZ posh hotel [biar]RITZ French resort

6 BALDRICK warrior’s belt BALD (obvious) RICK (heap)

7 EXILES people leaving country I L (one pound) in EXES (expenses)

8 TENDER dd

11 VAGUEST most unclear AGUE (fit) in V (very) ST (holy person)

14 OTTOMAN chair MOTTO< (saw turning up) AN (article)

17 DIALYSER medical equipment [hospita]L in (IS READY)*

18 CALABASH tree LAC< (resin found up) A B (black) ASH (tree)

19 CREDITON town (CIDERNOT)*

22 SHUT UP say nothing HUT (shed) in SUP (drink)

23 OSTLER horse attendant (STABLE ROLE)* minus ABLE (competent)

24 SKINNY lean INN (pub) in SKY (blue)

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    < = reverse    dd = double definition

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,279 by Bradman”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks Jed for your blog and your enthusiasm for this puzzle.
    Not many sharing it here, I fear.
    But there I am.

I started this crossword late last night (in bed).
    My rule is “find three solutions, then put the thing aside and go to sleep”.
    So far so good.
    But when I picked up this crossword this morning I found it quite hard. Certainly at the higher end of Bradman’s spectrum.
    While Brummie was more or less a(n enjoyable) breeze, Bradman kept me going for a long time.

After I decided to use the advice of Mrs Chambers, everything fell in place.

Bradman is (Pasquale + Quixote)/2, but all the more attractive.

Some real gems here.
    20ac (WINSTON), 26ac (BACKYARD), 31ac (HYPHEN [although I wouldn’t have minded a question mark], 1d (MANIFOLD).

There is something very right about this magnificent puzzle.
    Even if I had to rely on ‘resources’ which, btw, I find OK – enjoying the setter’s ideas comes before the challenge, to me that is.

As you said, Jed, highly recommended!

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

…. everything fell into place.

Whoa, one more comment!

BTW, a bit of a pity that the clue for 1d showed seven dashes (instead of eight).

3. penzephyr says:

Agree with Sil – an excellent puzzle. And a pangram, to boot.

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

Well spotted, penzephyr.
    Not a thing the Don is normally famous for or particularly aiming at.
    Hence, another reason for finding this a great puzzle!

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Sorry, it’s me again.
    But I wanted to say that PARR (21ac) is just another great clue.
    Perhaps even my CoD.