Independent no. 8268 by Quixote

Posted by flashling on April 15th, 2013

flashling.

So we start the week with Quixote, slightly odd looking grid I thought when I opened the paper.

Can’t see anything other than a good easyish start to the week, but then I have the dreaded man flu so there may be more.

1 Divine manifestation in Bible seen by a sailor (6)
A(uthorised) V(ersion) (Bible) & A TAR

4 Bird with curvaceous shape, pale (4)
SWAN
Curly letter “S” & WAN

9 At extremities girl experiences irritation produced by bugs (8)
GLITCHES
G(ir)L & ITCHES

10 Sophy sick? Out-of-date medicine has contributed to that (6)
PHYSIC
Hidden in so(PHY SIC)k

12 Jiggery-pokery may be hatched up in men’s dark room, sir (5,3,7)
SMOKE AND MIRRORS
[MENS DARK ROOM SIR]*

13 Port makes bishop relax (5)
BREST
B(ishop) & REST

14 Groups of bodies of soldiers in various actions (9)
CONSORTIA
OR (Other Ranks) in ACTIONS*

15 Tea is served, securing link with voluntary organisations (9)
CHARITIES
CHAR (tea) & TIE (link) in IS

19 Bank keeping quiet when response is demanded (5)
P(quiet) in RELY (bank)

21 Quickly appreciate positive audience reaction (4,3,8)
LIKE THE CLAPPERS
LIKE (appreciate) THE CLAPPERS – Quickly

23 Dope with endeavour to join the aristocracy (6)
GENTRY
GEN (dope) & TRY

24 Peculiar larvae in plant (8)
VALERIAN

[LARVAE IN]*

25 Shoddy stuff at back of the gallery? (4)
TATE
TAT & (th)E

26 Chemical compound is getting Rome fouled up (6)
ISOMER
IS & ROME*

1 Scotsman conveys message from Cockney murderers wanting death penalty (5)
ANGUS
(h)ANG US

2 Like a sort of fat princess turning up to model (7)
ADIPOSE
Princess IDA rev & POSE (to model)

3 I hit on ancestry unexpectedly — something obtained from old documents? (7,7)
ANCIENT HISTORY
[I HIT ON ANCESTRY]*

5 Complete failure brings a yell after win initially (7)
WASHOUT
W(in) & A SHOUT

6 Fantastic caress when beset by desire mounting? It’s essential (9)
NECESSARY
CARESS* in YEN rev.

7 Fox in marshy territory with endless audacity (6)
FENNEC
Saharan fox, FEN & NEC(k)

8 Sorcerer and hag hop around — we map out the steps (14)
CHOREOGRAPHERS
[SORCERER HAG HOP]*

11 Agent restricted by bungling managers (1-3)
G-MAN
Hidden in (bunglin)G MAN(agers)

13 Support not weighing much that may be used by photographer (9)
BACKLIGHT
BACK (support) & LIGHT (not weighing much)

16 Plant needs a way to absorb potassium over time (7)
ALKANET

K (Potassium) in A LANE & T(ime)

17 Thought from political assistant first to be dropped (4)
IDEA
IDEA(1st) less – don’t care much for the word ideaist but there you go. [See muffyword #1 for a better explanation]

18 A bit of cake maybe cut for a ruler (6)
SULTAN
I assume this is SULTAN(a) cake

20 Rep unexpectedly tight-lipped about one bonus payment (7)
PREMIUM
REP* & 1 in MUM

22 Elder denied one European title (5)
SENOR
1 removed from SEN(i)OR

*anagram

8 Responses to “Independent no. 8268 by Quixote”

1. Muffyword says:

Thanks for the blog.

Re 17 dn:

I think this is AIDE, with the A (first) dropped to the end.

Thanks, flashling.

Pleasing solve from Quixote to start the week. I too was struggling to parse IDEA, so thanks to Muffyword for explaining that one. LIKE THE CLAPPERS was my favourite this morning, and VALERIAN the only one I struggled with, since I’m not much good at plants.

3. michelle says:

I liked the long anagrams in this puzzle as well as PREMIUM, NECESSARY & ANGUS.

New words for me were ISOMER, ALKANET, LIKE THE CLAPPERS & BREST.

I couldn’t parse 14a, 1a & 7d. Thanks, now I see why: I did not know AV = ‘authorised version’ (of the Bible) nor that ‘neck’ is slang for ‘audacity’.

For 2d, I was not aware of ‘Princess Ida’. I had somehow thought it had something to do with Princess Di (as usual).

I also parsed IDEA in the same way as Muffyword.

Thanks for the blog, flashling.

4. allan_c says:

Nice gentle start to the week – Thanks, Quixote.

And thanks to flashling, also muffyword, for parsing those I couldn’t quite make out.

michelle, ‘Princess Ida’ is one of the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, though less often performed than some of the others.

5. Wil Ransome says:

This seemed an unusually easy Quixote, with none of the difficult unknown words that usually stop me from being fast by my standards. But an excellent crossword as always of course, though I would say that wouldn’t I having completed it in only a few minutes; well not a few, actually, but fewer than usual.

flashling I don’t think you’ll find any sort of Nina here — I think Quixote once posted saying that he didn’t really approve of them.

6. Flashling says:

Yes Wil I know quixote doesn’t usually do ninas but nor does dac but there may be a googly, this is the Indy after all.

7. Bertandjoyce says:

Well, we seem to be in the minority as we found it a bit of a disappointing start to the week, especially for Quixote who we normally enjoy.

There were a number of unusual words which we would normally be happy with but for some reason or other we both expected more, especially given the unusual grid.

Ah well, there’s always another four left for the week ahead.

Thanks flashling for the blog. We are still looking forward to another Quixote – you can’t hope to please everyone all the time and we did like 21ac!

8. Graham Pellen says:

23A Gentry are not the aristocracy, but a level below; unless “endeavour” was doing some sort of double duty in that the gentry might (want to) try to join the aristocracy as their next step up the class ladder, so a sort of &lit.