Posted by Pete Maclean on April 18th, 2013
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of April 6, 2013
I call this an exceptionally good crossword puzzle. It has several brilliant clues, most notably in my estimation 20A (METABOLISE), 22A (HOTHOUSE), 3D (EXIT SIGN), 9D (BROKEN-HEARTED) and 17D (ROOF RACK), and nothing that I can make the slightest quibble about. A real treat. Thank you, Mudd!
1. GAMES CONSOLE – GAME (willing) + CONS (kids) in SOLE (unique)
10. QUININE – QUI (French question) + NINE (figure)
11. AUDITOR – AUDI (car) + ROT (rust) backwards
12. APHIS – A (a) + PH (pub) + IS (one’s). In case you don’t know, an aphis is a type of aphid.
13. FOREDECK – [th]E + DEC (month) together in FORK (pay)
15. ENOUGH SAID – O (love) in anagram of ANGUISHED
16. NEON – hidden word
18. AIRE – A (a) + R (river) in IE (that is)
20. METABOLISE – anagram of ALBEIT SOME
22. HOTHOUSE – THOU (you) in HOSE (nylons)
24. FLAIR – L (left) in FAIR (just)
26. NOISOME – NOI[r] (short black) + SOME (part)
27. FRAGILE – RAG (paper) in FILE (catalogue)
28. SWEET-TALKING – anagram of GETS A NEW KILT
2. ATISHOO – homophone (“at issue”)
3. EXIT SIGN – anagram of EXISTING
4. CREW – double definition. The second definition refers to ‘crew’ as an alternate form of the more common ‘crowed’.
5. NEAPOLITAN – anagram of NOT A NEPALI
6. OLDIE – LO (look) reversed + DIE (stop)
7. EXTREME – EX (old) + M[an] in TREE (plane perhaps)
8. SQUARE-BASHING – SQUARE (sixteen perhaps) + BASHING (smacking)
9. BROKEN-HEARTED – reverse cryptic (“broken-hearted” could clue OR RED HEAT)
14. ASSESSMENT – ASSES (fools) + MEN (people) in ST (way)
17. ROOF RACK – anagram of OK FOR CAR and a beautiful &lit.
19. RETAINS – anagram of EAR ISNT
21. ITALIAN – hidden word
23. OZONE – O (round) + ZONE (the area)
25. OFFA – homophone (“offer”). Offa was an early English king who is best known historically for his dyke.