Independent 8275/Scorpion

Posted by John on April 23rd, 2013

John.

The theme that Scorpion has used here worried me a bit at first because I felt my knowledge of these things generally was a bit thin, but it soon became clear that all the thematic answers were linked. (Have I written enough for the details not to show? I think so.)

It is all based on the Waddingtons game Cluedo. Scorpion uses the word ‘murderer’ for what the game only calls suspects, but I suppose he’s justified in doing so since they will all have committed murder in some playing or other of the game. My memory of the game only extended to some of the characters/murder weapons and I had to use Google.

7 REVOLVER — the Beatles record (of 1966) and also a murder weapon in Cluedo
8 DE(T)E CT — the current is the River Dee
9 CL(E)AN — semi &lit.
10 SPANNER — sinner with pa for i, a murder weapon in Cluedo
11 moST CAses — hidden rev.
13 EN(GENDER {lif}E)D
15 CANDLES TICK — a murder weapon in Cluedo
19 CAR(AV ANN)ER — the Bible is A[uthorised] V[ersion]
21 PLUM — 2 defs I think, with ‘given to find’ the link, or perhaps the def is ‘prize given’, but I think that’s less likely since ‘plum’ and ‘prize’ can just about be synonyms, but ‘plum’ and ‘prize given’ surely can’t — Professor Plum is a suspect in Cluedo
22 MU(STAR)D — Colonel Mustard is another suspect in Cluedo
24 WHITE — 2 defs — Mrs White is another s in C
26 DAGGER — ragged with the ends swapped — a dagger is a murder weapon in Cluedo
27 LEAD PIPE — lead = tip-off, one conveys = pipe, a lead pipe is another murder weapon in Cluedo

1 PEA(CO C)K — Mrs Peacock is a suspect in Cluedo
2 {g}ROPE — another murder weapon in Cluedo
3 A(V(EN)G)E — E[nrolled] N[urse] — A[ccident] and E[mergency]
4 bEeR hOuSe
5 STANLEY CUP — (cleans up t{erritor}y)* — the Stanley Cup is the annual trophy awarded to the winner of the playoff of the NHL
6 SCARLET — the rental property is let, the wound is a scar — but this is the North American spelling of the suspect in Cluedo Miss Scarlett; in the British version (which Scorpion otherwise seems to be using, since he refers to a dagger and a revolver, not a knife and a pistol) it is spelled with a double t
8 DRAG{o}N ET
12 SEA PA’S SAGE — sea is a homophone (being discussed) of see, which is Ely, perhaps
14 GREEN — 2 defs, Reverend Green a suspect in Cluedo
16 DEA(DAI)R
17 OATMEAL — {f}oal around (team)*
18 EUTERPE — t{im}e in Eur{o}pe — Euterpe was the muse of music
20 REWRAP — a nice clue that defeated me since I couldn’t think of anything that fitted R _ W _ A _ — the definition is ‘Again parcel’, and ‘turned up’ refers to ‘par(w)er’

14 Responses to “Independent 8275/Scorpion”

1. Conrad Cork says:

Thanks John (and Scorpion). Knowing nothing at all of the game made it a bit tricky to know whether the solutions were correct.

2. Muffyword says:

Running up diagonally from bottom left is DEUS VEL REGNAE S.

Is this random?

3. PJ says:

Good fun. Thanks to Scorpion and thanks also for the splendid blog.

Doesn’t need to be, of course, but is today of particular significance for Cluedo, I wonder? A very quick google didn’t turn anything up that I could see.

4. Paul A says:

Muffyword @2 – The reverse of that is ‘Sean Gerlev sued’. An Irish/Bulgarian trying to profit from one of the murderers perhaps :-)

5. Rowland says:

I think you are trying TOO hard there, Muffyword!

Godd stuff from Scorpion, but is this theme familiar? I’m sure I’ve doine one like this somewwere before, but you know how your mind plays trcks!!

Cheers
    Rowl.

6. michelle says:

I got off to a slow start with this puzzle until I solved what seemed like the baffling ‘Green’ = ‘murderer’ and ‘spanner’ = ‘murder weapon’. Somehow I guessed the theme: this was not a game I played more than several times as a child. After that, I simply opened up Wikipedia at the Cluedo page as I was not very familiar with the murder suspects and weapons, and the solving process became more speedy and less enjoyable.

Congratulations to Scorpion who managed to include all 12 suspects and weapons in this puzzle.

I was unable to parse 20d, 19a, 16d. Many thanks for the blog, John.

7. Dormouse says:

I hadn’t played this game for many years – maybe 40 – but I thought I’d attempt this from memory without looking up the names, and I surprised myself by succeeding.

Incidentally, not only is Miss Scarlett’s name spelled differently in North America, I recall they call the game Clue.

8. allan_c says:

Once I twigged the theme it was fairly plain sailing, although I had to drag out the Cluedo set to remind me of one or two names. And in my set one of the weapons is ‘lead piping’ rather than ‘lead pipe’. Incidentally I once knew an academic called Dr Plum and wondered if he harboured ambitions to become a professor.

Had to google for the STANLEY CUP, though.

Thanks, Scorpion, for an entertaining puzzle and John for the helpful blog.

A bit of fun indeed, if you guessed the theme, that is. For me it was two clues in: EROS followed by SPANNER just clicked a switch in my head that said ‘Cluedo!’ And then it was dragging stuff from memory banks, helped when I remembered that there were colours involved.

Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the billiard room. Happy memories. And I used to work for Waddingtons (although not in the games part) so more memories.

Thanks to S&B.

10. Andy B says:

An enjoyable puzzle. It took me a few minutes to get started but it flowed once I realised the theme. Despite not having played the game for decades, and even then not very much, I was pleased to have been able to finish it without resorting to aids.

11. NealH says:

My knowledge of Cluedo is restricted to the opening scene of an episode of Father Ted where the priests are playing an endless version of the game (mainly because they’re missing the card with the name of the murderer on it). With perseverance I managed to get through it without needing online help. The only place where I did need help was with one of the non-Cluedo clues, 17 down, where the only word I could think of for young horse was colt. I thought racing as an anagram indicator was a bit of a stretch.

12. flashling says:

Well, I thought it dead good, the hackneyed murderer = Cain kept getting in the way. Not sure how K’sD went from Eros to Cluedo, but each to his own. :-)

Expected to see Black somewhere..

Thanks Scorpion and John

13. Trebor says:

Enjoyed it, but lots of write-ins once the theme was uncovered, so over too soon.

Thanks

14. pennes says:

I enjoyed dragging my memory for the names and the weapons so I thought this a lot of fun. Agree with NealH@10 about “racing” for anagram indicator.
    Is everyone happy with Current= river? I can’t say I find them synonymous/parasynonymous