Financial Times 14,345 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on June 21st, 2013

Jed.

One of those puzzles that looks easy when you see the answers but certainly not when attempting to solve – first-rate

1 CALAMITIES disasters A LAM (bash) in CITIES (big towns)

6 SCUP porgy fish [bes]S CUP (trophy)

9 ORDINAL church book DIN (noise) in ORAL (exam)

10 TO SCALE properly modelled TOSCA (opera) LE (the French)

12 CONFIDANTE intimate CON (prisoner) IF< (poem about) DANTE (poet)

13 ICE rocks [l]ICE (insects minus first letter)

15 BREAST joint to eat B[a]R (pub not a) EAST (point)

16 PLACATED calmed down A T (short time) in PLACED (put)

18 IN LEAGUE dd

20 24 A THORN IN THE FLESH constant irritation

A THORN (old Norse character) IN THE FLESH (live)

23 ENT from Lord of the Rings hidden in [m]EN-T[rees]

26 ARMENIA country MEN (soldiers) in ARIA (song)

27 INGRATE unappreciative character hot IN GRATE

28 EYRE Jane E (English) river YARE (Norwich) minus A (thanks for all who pointed out – EBRO of course – Jed)

29 INCOHERENT unintelligible HER (the woman) in (NOT NICE)*

1 CLOT idiot C (caught) LOT (Bible character)

2 LADRONE pirate [trave]L A DRONE (idler)

3 MANIFESTATION demonstration (FAMINE)* STATION TV channel

4 TOLEDO steel city (TOOLED)*

5 ENTANGLE catch ENT (22 + 1 = 23down) ANGLE way of looking

7 CHARIOT carriage RIO (port) in CHAT (talk)

8 PRETENDING putting on an act

PRIEST (ordained minister minus IS) ENDING (finishing)

11 SEED CATALOGUE for gardener SEE (notice) (COAGULATED)*

14 OBLITERATE get rid (A ROBE LET IT)*

17 QUATRAIN stanza with 4 lines QUA (as) TRAIN (puff-puff)

19 LATIMER bishop IT< (sex back/up) in LAMER (more feeble)

21 ON STAGE for audience to see (TANGOES)*

22 MERINO sheep ERIN (Ireland) in MOOR minus OR

25 PEAT garden stuff A in PET (pussy perhaps)

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    < = reverse    dd = double definition

7 Responses to “Financial Times 14,345 by Bradman”

1. Muffyword says:

Thanks Jed,

I had EBRO at 28ac – E B(i)RO

My favourites were SEED CATALOGUE and INCOHERENT.

A really good crossword.

2. Jezza says:

I also had EBRO at 28a.

Many thanks to Bradman, and to Jed for the review.

3. peterj says:

Another vote for EBRO

Thanks for parsing of MERINO – I guessed it

Two good crosswords in a row!

4. Rowland says:

Men- tre es I thoufght was nice, and the long one ffor THIRN IN THE FLESH. very good.

5. Berny says:

Yes – agree with Ebro – Jane Eyre was the character in the Bronte novel – not the writer

6. ernie says:

Although I got 5D I could not see where the ‘ent’ came from. Now I know.

Thanks, Jed

7. Sil van den Hoek says:

Once more a really good crossword by The Don (who deserves the capitalisation).
    I found this puzzle considerably harder than other ones by this setter (in all his disguises).

I knew 5d had to be ENTANGLE but failing on 23ac the interaction between these clues was wasted on me.

Thanks, Jed.