Guardian 25,464 – Paul

Posted by manehi on October 27th, 2011

manehi.

I’d not heard of the long (53 letter!) solution to 16 et al, but managed to fill it in at the end. Impressive as it is to fit such a long phrase into the grid, it left me feeling that I didn’t quite get a whole crossword’s worth of clues – a pity, with some very nice cluing elsewhere. My favourites were 1d, 10a and 19d.

1 JOCULAR =”funny”, and something the Scottish are supposedly not.
Edit thanks to Robi: this also sounds like “Jock you all are”, where Jock=Scot. Or, thanks to Tom_I, Jock-ular as in circular etc?
5 COPIOUS =Liberal. CO[mpany]=firm + PIOUS=good
9 DWEEB =Schmuck. WE buried in rev(BED=plot)
10 CARPENTER The saw is his tool. CARTER=President around PEN=writer
18 OVERSLEEPING =rising late. (eleven pigs or)*
21 SEEK =Look. sounds like “Sikh”
26 ORIEL A bay window, or an Oxford college.
27 REDRESS =Correct. RES[erves] in REDS=Manchester United
28 RETREAT =Leave, or RE-TREAT = handle again?
1 JUDITH =book (of the Old Testament). rev(ID=Papers) in JUT=project + H[ard]
2 CLEVER =Quick. C[entrifugal] + LEVER=force
3 LIBRETTIST such as W S Gilbert. LIB[eral]=part + rev(SITTER=model) + T[ime]
4 RECAP =go over once more. RE=concerning=”On” + CAP=top
5 CARDSHARP =Cheat. CARD=character + SHARP, which is an accidental in music.
6 PEER =Look. Sounds like “PEE-ER”. Very similar to 21a.
7 OUTBOARD =boat’s motor. OAR=Paddle in (doubt)*
8 SERGEANT =(another) soldier. SERGE=material + ANT=soldier
13 DOWN AND OUT =Bum. DOWN=on the floor + A + NUT=fanatic around DO=party
15 FRESH EGGS =breakfast items. rev(SERF=Person bound) + HE’S=man’s around G[ood] G[ood]
et al
DOES YOUR CHEWING
GUM LOSE ITS FLAVOUR
ON THE BEDPOST OVERNIGHT
=Old number [wiki link]. (thirty five London bus we drove home to Scunthorpe so luggage is)*
17 REVEREND =Vicar. R[ight] + EVER=always + END=target
19 IGNITE =light. Reverse hidden in fle(ETING I)nstant
20 AMULET is a charm. A MULE=shoe + [Dir]T
23 WATER Makes up the tide. WAR=fighting around T[id]E=tide with the “I’d” lost.
24 KNEE Referring to the Wounded Knee Massacre [wiki link]. K[ing] + NEE=born

41 Responses to “Guardian 25,464 – Paul”

1. NeilW says:

Thanks, manehi.

We’ve been here before with the long clue; I remembered it well from Enigmatist’s excellent Prize crossword of May 2nd 2009. (Thanks to this sites search engine!) He didn’t manage the whole title, leaving out “overnight” but came up with the equally excellent anagram for the rest: FUSS OVER OLD GLORY WHITE HOUSE BUDGET COMPENSATION!

Nice of Paul to give a little more information in 8, defining ANT as “soldier crawling.”

2. Robi says:

All very clever, but I’m not a fan of these long anagrams. It took a long time to get it and then the rest of the grid fell into place too quickly.

Thanks, manehi; I thought JOCULAR was Jock-you-are or somesuch.

Thanks, Manehi.

I’ve seen the long clue twice before, both times clued by [quite different] – remarkable.

It was in the Gaff FT puzzle on the day of the royal wedding in April:
    (TODAY SMUG PRINCE ENTHRONES HIS OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD VOGUE LOVER BEG)*, as part of a ‘celebratory crossword’ – Lonnie Donegan would have been 80 on that day! [I do wonder if Gaff is Paul in another guise - we see him so rarely and Mr H always goes for 4-letter pseudonyms.]

The other Mr H, Enigmatist, in Guardian, 24,689, very cleverly split the clue:

1,18,14,12,3 A question of note? Dreadful fuss over “Old Glory” White House budget compensation … (4,4,7,3,4,3,7,2,3,7)

2 … over this darned thing! (5)

4. NeilW says:

“site’s” even. Must start using the preview button!

Hi NeilW

Sorry to cross – but, you see, he did manage the ‘overnight’!

6. Tramp says:

Was up early this morning so did the crossword. Lovely puzzle. 10a is superb!

7. NeilW says:

Ha ha, Eileen! Your memory’s much better than mine! Even after more than two years, the answer did leap out at me, though. :)

8. John Appleton says:

I too loved 10a. Great crossword in its entirety, too.

9. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Manehi.

Thus was fun, helped by the fact that the long clue came wheedling back to my memory from a now distant past, as the crossing letters revealed themselves – the first part in was “chewing gum”, which didn’t leave many alternatives, then it was just a question of remembering the exact wording of the title. I didn’t bother to check the anagram fodder :)

10. Robi says:

P.S. I think it’s Jock-you’ll-(you all)-are.

11. Stella Heath says:

That should have been “this”. I ought to emulate NeilW’s resolution. My excuse is that the ceiling light’s shining directly on the three grouped vowels on the right.

Hi Neil

Not memory [that's terrible] but this site’s wonderful search engine and the Guardian archive!

[In my comment 3, I missed out 'anagrams' in the first sentence.]

13. harry says:

Thanks manehi, and tend to agree with you regarding very long clues, clever though this one is.

I was thrown by the fact dredged up from somewhere that the terminus of the 35 London bus is Clapham, so I was trying to work some variant of “man on the Clapham omnibus” into the clue until the penny dropped quite late on.

14. cholecyst says:

Thanks, manehi.

Luckily, I managed to guess the long solution very early on , just from the enumeration and 3 crossing letters. How did I manage this? I’d love to know how the brain can perform searches of this nature and come up with right answer. Of course, in my case at least, it more often than not comes up with wrong answer!

15. manehi says:

Robi – thanks, I’d not heard of Jock for a Scot.

16. pommers says:

I, too, agree with Manehi. I feel as though I haven’t quite had my money’s worth when so much of the grid is filled by solving one clue. Yes, I know the puzzle is free on the website but you know what I mean!

Otherwise the usual excellent stuff from Paul.

17. molonglo says:

Thanks manehi, and Paul for another stunner. The theme jumped out with the first letter of 27 and the M of AMULET, which opened the whole thing up. Some good distractions with 18′s ’11′ and 16 etc’s ’35′ plus numerous delightful clues andsurfaces eg 7, 8,13and 15 down. Did struggle with the top left corner, ending up a bit unhappy with JOCULAR.

18. dunsscotus says:

Thanks Manehi. Some nice clues here, but I got the skiffle number straight off (very clear memories of playing my Dad’s 78s), which made the rest relatively easy. The long anagram technique is definitely a double edged weapon.

19. scchua says:

Thanks manehi and Paul.

Solving was greatly helped early on by have G-M: Not many “old numbers” having that long a title with that 3-letter word (spent more time working out the anagram than the answer). The rest of the puzzle was also enjoyably teased out. Liked the anagram in 18A OVERSLEEPING (even though there were 2 OVERs in the acrosses to the left – slight hesitation there), 6D PEER with the “so to speak” not-a-homophone, and the surface of 7D OUTBOARD, which I think qualifies as an &lit?

20. Manu says:

What a challenge! Many times I thought I’d have to cheat my way through that one, but after much courage and perseverance (and help from Google – “chewing gum overnight” was enough to find the song), I did it. I feel prouder than after an Azed grid or a Genius crossword ha ha. Amazing anagram. I wonder how much time Paul spent on that one.

21. liz says:

Thanks manehi. I got the long answer very early too, with only the S of DOES as a checking letter — it just popped up in a weird way (like cholecyst @14) — I’m sure because I remembered its previous outings. All good fun!

22. NeilW says:

I agree with molonglo – I was not really convinced about JOCULAR – the answer was obvious and the link to “jock” clear enough, plus maybe a homophone of “you” but the rest? Are we missing something or is this just a very weak pun, which would be unusual for Paul?

23. Tom_I says:

Isn’t 1 across a play on the suffix -ular meaning “of or pertaining to something”, as in glandular or tubular?

So if a Scot is colloquially a Jock, then (facetiously) Scottish would be “Jockular”, and the answer is a homophone of that (“might you say?”).

24. NeilW says:

Thanks, Tom_I, you’re right!

25. Robi says:

Thanks, Tom; I think you’ve got it!

26. bagbird says:

I agree, Tom. And I’ve always thought ‘Nuk(e)ular’ to be an irritating mispronunciation of ‘nuclear’ – seems there is justification for it after all.

27. Stella Heath says:

I was about to point out that 1ac is qualified with “might” and a question mark, but Tom_I beat me to it. Spot on!

Hi Bagbird, the only time I’ve heard that one was in an episode of The Simpsons – said by Homer, of course, despite Lisa’s rebuke :)

28. gm4hqf says:

Thanks manehi and Paul

I’m not a lover of these great long anagrams either. I had to solve all the other clues before I got the answer.

Who says the Scots are not funny, we are a very peculiar race! When I worked in the Midlands years ago all the Welsh were called Taffy, the Irish, Paddy or Mick. I had to keep telling the locals that my name was Dave not Jock. I gave up in the end.

A nice puzzle slightly spoiled.

29. NeilW says:

Stella, it was George Bush Jr.’s finest (amongst many) verbal abuses of our language.

30. Davy says:

Thanks manehi,

An excellent puzzle from Paul and yet another one that I really enjoyed. I had done well over a half of this puzzle before stumbling on the big one. I’d just written in LIBRETTIST and was surprised to find a three-letter word with a ‘T’ in the middle. Decided it was ITS and that was it, I just wrote all eleven words in. I do understand why people are disappointed to be able to write in so much of the grid so quickly but not for me. Nice to see Lonnie getting a mention too, as he was a great influence to many musicians.

My COD is KNEE which I thought was absolutely brilliant. Thanks Paul.

31. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks Paul and manehi. Loved CARPENTER – the clue not the image. Was a Lonnie Donnegan fan in High School although I was partial to Rock Island Line.

Cheers…

32. Allan_C says:

With a long entry like 16d etc this couldn’t have been anywhere else but The Guardian. I suppose it helped that I’m old enough to remember the skiffle era, and ‘chewing gum’ opened up the long one for me too, Stella.

Anyone puzzled by the reference to JUDITH (1d) being a book of the Old Testament may like to know that in Protestant editions of the Bible it’s in the Apocrypha. Quite a bloodthirsty tale, actually, of a honey trap set by the eponymous heroine. And, incidentally, the inspiration for Thomas Tallis’s famous 40-part motet ‘Spem in Alium’

33. Derek Lazenby says:

Not fond of long anagrams either. Got it in a way very similar to liz except I had the s and r in 16 and I was just looking at 16 thinking what words fit that? Does and Your sprang to mind and before any doubts could cloud the issue, the song burst into my mind. I did have a brief, oh no, surely not, moment, then saw the numbers and odd crossings fitted. But if that hadn’t happened I could have been stuck completely.

34. James Droy says:

Oh, poo. I spent a fruitless hour researching hymn’s in Ancient and Modern numbered 35. I wonder sometimes if I have ever learnt anything about crossword solving. But I was convinced the hymn book was revised in the recent past and a fuss had ensued when some were left out.

I am now a wiser, if not better, man and know more about hymns than I did this morning.

35. James Droy says:

Oh, no, sorry. I don’t know where the apostrophe in hymns came from. Now I look stupid as well as foolish.

36. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Paul

Got back to this only in the late afternoon. Like Liz and cholecyst the old number emerged from the enumeration and crossing letters. I suppose I have heard it before in younger days (I have no memory of it from recent crosswords). :) I suppose it’s a relatively harmless piece of luggage to have lying about in the ‘uncatalogued museum’ of one’s subconscious.

Some excellent cluing. Ticks for 10a, 18a, 6d, 8d, 24d.

Thanks Tom_I for clarifying 1a.

37. Sil van den Hoek says:

I saw CHEWING GUM opening up itself from the grid, then FLAVOUR after which BEDPOST sprang to mind from previous occasions.
    As others said, both Enigmatist and Gaff did it before, but Paul has the edge over them – in fact, by miles.

Even if the anagram didn’t bring “a whole crossword’s worth of clues” [indeed, manehi], it did not spoil the fun.
    We couldn’t be bothered figuring out the anagram, but My Goodness Me, this was just a stunning surface for such a long anagram. A real classic.

The only time today I raised my eyebrows (a bit) was in 24d (KNEE). The Wounded Knee the clue refers to is capitalised, where ‘wounded’ in the clue itself is not. Although this is against the rules, the surface reading probably justifies it because you cán wound your knee (and a lot more than that :() in such an awful thing as a massacre.

Well done, manehi.
    Very well done, Paul [still not grown up? - see 6d :)].

38. Giovanna says:

Thanks Paul and Manehi -all very entertaining.

Tupu @36 – very poetic!! I groaned when I saw the length of the anagram but once I had amulet, it led to gum and on to chewing gum, from which it had to be the old song. So from initial heart-sinking, it was good to see a good part of the puzzle filled.

1a reminded me of a dim memory of an old song – Josh u r Joshua? Maybe somebody else knows it.

Giovanna

39. Stella Heath says:

With all the comments pointing to the idea the we were very young when this song hit the charts, yet the title springs quite readily to mind, it occurs to me that it’s that very title, and the fact that it’s often repeated within the song, that somehow stayed in the mind. Chewing gum drying out on the bedpost is such a probable thing for a kid, and so improbable for an adult to make a song about, that it must have stuck in our childhood imagination.

I had no idea the Book of Judith was apocryphal, but then for me everybody’s favourite psalm is nº22.

40. UncleAda says:

for Giovanna @38

Joshua, Joshua,
    Why don’t you call and see Mama,
    She’ll be pleased to know
    You are my best beau.
    Joshua, Joshua,
    Nicer than lemon squash you are.
    Yes, by gosh you are,
    Joshu-oshu-a.

41. mikewglospur says:

What’s all this about remembering the Lonnie Donnegan song from “when we were very young”? I was there in the audience when it was recorded (I was a student at the time – ie not so very young!). But I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that I didn’t get that clue till I’d filled in 90% of the rest of the grid.