Financial Times no.14,201 by Alberich

Posted by Ringo on January 3rd, 2013

Ringo.

Good morning, and a happy New Year to the lot of you! This was a challenging solve to start 2013 (the traditional thick New Year head-cold didn’t help): some pretty tortuous clueing, I thought, but on the whole I found it very enjoyable. Many superb surfaces, and no serious quibbles – although, as ever, you may disagree…

ACROSS

1. STALAGMITE  It within anagram of games at (schoo)l

6. HAZE  Hazard [danger] minus a rd [a road] + E [point of the compass]

10. MOTTO  T [time] within reversal of o [old] + tom [pro, prostitute]

11. HANG LOOSE  Anglo [Brit] within hose [socks]

12. UPPERCUT  Upper [drug, stimulant] + cut [diluted]

13. THEFT  The + FT [Financial Times] – literally what you are looking at while solving the puzzle (unless you printed off a PDF…)

15. PELICAN  (Le)i(th) within anagram of place N [new]

17. PAPRIKA  Risk minus s(ergeant) within papa [pop, father]

19. SATANIC  (Description)n within anagram of I [one] cast – a lovely &lit

21. WISTFUL  WIs [Western Isles] + reversal of luft [German for air]

22. OBESE  OBEs [Orders (of the British Empire)] + (slimlin)e

24. MASSACRE  Mass [the greater part] + a(re) [??] + reversal of (m)erc(y)

27. ALONGSIDE  A long side [the hypoteneuse is the longest side of a right-angled triangle]

28. ANITA  Hidden in vegetariAN IT Appears, with ‘she’ indicating a girl’s name (to the dissatisfaction, I’m sure, of many of you)

29. YUAN  Alternate (‘regular’) letters of YoUr AuNt to give Chinese capital/currency

30. ON THE SHELF  Anagram of ones left H(usband) H(usband)

DOWN

1. SUMO  Sum [amount] + O [nothing]

2. AUTOPILOT  Anagram of out a + pi lot [pious group, group emulating saint]; a plane’s autopilot is customarily called George

3. ANODE  A + node [set of lines]

4. MOHICAN  Hic(k) [redneck] within moan [lament]

5. TANK TOP  Tank [Centurion] + top [best]

7. ABODE  Bod [chap] within A and E [Accident and Emergency, hospital department]

8. EVENTUALLY  Even [still] + U [united] within tally [agree]

9. PLATYPUS  A + typ(e) [(tailless) sort] within plus [additional]

14. EPISTOLARY  P [pence, little money] within anagram of royalties

16. CONVERGE  Con [study] + verger [cleric] minus r [right]

18. INFERTILE In + task minus ask [question] within anagram of relief – I’m pretty sure in is doing double duty here

20. CAMPION  P [power] within camion [heavy goods vehicle]

21. WISBECH  B [bishop] within wise [learned] + Ch [church]

23. EBOLA  A + reversal of lobe [part of the brain]

25. AMASS  A + M [millions] + as [when] + s(tockbroker)

26. BARF  Bar F [the bar or pub that follows Bar A, Bar B, Bar C, Bar D and Bar E...]

8 Responses to “Financial Times no.14,201 by Alberich”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks Ringo – I agree this was quite tricky, though gettable eventually.

In 24, a=are as an abbreviation of the metric unit of area (1/100th of a hectare).

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Alberich for an enjoyable puzzle and Ringo for the blog.

13ac: Yes I was looking at a pdf, but it is still part of the FT in its origins, so a perfectly good clue.

24ac: A = are as noted by Andrew@1. Some people have objected to this, but I cannot see any problem with it.

27ac: Nice clue, but Chambers 2008 only gives the spellings hypotenuse or hypothenuse. Ringo has copied the spelling from the crossword, which is at worst a harmless typo.

7dn: Yesterday we had chap cluing BO (which was something of a crossword cliche around 1980 when I started taking crosswords seriously). Today we have chap = BOD. Any chance of chap = BODY tomorrow?

18dn: No double duty here. The wordplay is simply an anagram of t(ask) in relief.

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks Ringo.
    Andrew is right about “are”, although I completely overlooked it myself.
    Some superb clueing today, nothing to quibble about.
    Even PLATYPUS, a word that I had never heard of, was clued in such a way that it was no problem finding it.
    Among my favourites 1ac, 11ac and many more.

Of course, the parsing of ANODE (3d) is right, but I took “a set of lines” as AN ODE. And why not?

ALONGSIDE (27ac) was similar to a clue I saw a couple of years ago at a maths conference – very nice, but a write-in. And surely ‘hypoteneuse’ should be ‘hypothenuse’. Typo.

Many thanks to Alberich, with best wishes for 2013.

4. Pelham Barton says:

Sil @3: I think I prefer your explanation of 3dn. I had it Ringo’s way, but thought NODE = “set of lines” was a bit of a stretch.

5. fearsome says:

Thanks Ringo and Alberich
    Anode defeated me but many enjoyable clues,
    could see Paul/Mudd cluing Barf and I liked platypus

6. Robi says:

Good puzzle with some excellent clues.

Thanks Ringo; I didn’t see the problem with ‘in’ in 18 – fruitless=infertile, (Task IN RELIEF)* anag with ‘work’ as the anagrind. I can’t see the double duty myself.

I particularly liked UPPERCUT, AUTOPILOT, PAPRIKA and several others. I’m not sure that I fully understand MASSACRE, but I think it may be: MASSA=master=predominant[Chambers]=the greater part, plus your mERCy reversed.

7. Sil van den Hoek says:

Robi, MASSACRE is just as Ringo said in his blog:
    MASS (a great deal – like: a mass of letters) + A (are, as Andrew explained, a measure of area) + indeed the reversal of [m]ERC[y].
    I have to admit that I parsed it as MASS + [s]ACRE[d] – don’t know why, perhaps connecting ‘mercy’ with ‘sacred’.
    Completely wrong, but I got the right answer! :)

8. Robi says:

Thanks Sil for the clarification. Apologies to Andrew @1 for not reading his post properly.