Guardian 25,845 – Bonxie

Posted by Uncle Yap on January 15th, 2013

Uncle Yap.

Quite a smart work-out this morning but having some problems parsing a couple of clues.

1 APPEAL Shock inclusion of exiled premier brings call for dismissal (6)
Ins of E (first letter of exiled, very creatively indicated by exiled premier) in APPAL (shock) for a loud appeal in cricket “HOWZAT!” in the hope that the umpire will rule the batsman LBW (leg before wicket) and therefore dismissed. Another common appeal applies to whether a ball had touched the bat before being caught. Fascinating game, this …
4,2 WAH-WAH PEDAL It affects sound of revolutionary propagandist broadcasting traffic (3-3,5)
Rev of Lord HAW-HAW (the nickname of several announcers on the English-language propaganda radio programme Germany Calling, broadcast by Nazi German radio to audiences in Great Britain) + PEDAL (sounds like peddle, traffic). WAH-WAH is the sound produced on a brass instrument by inserting and removing the mute, imitated on an electric guitar by varying the level of amplification.
9,16 WINDSOCK Chinook hit airport equipment (8)
WIND (Chinook, a warm dry wind blowing down the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains, making winter grazing possible; also, a warm moist wind blowing onto the NW coast of the US from the Pacific) + SOCK (hit)
10 PARAPHRASE Rapper has a new way to say the same things (10)
*(RAPPER HAS A)
11 STOLEN Knocked off vestment with pole (6)
STOLE (vestment) + North Pole
12 BARBADOS Dig first and then pop back to the country (8)
BARB (dig, wounding or wittily pointed remark) + rev of SODA (pop) for a country in the West Indies
13 TRADESMAN Shopkeeper and master criminal (9)
*(AND MASTER) Lovely Annie
15 MONK Celibate for one day last week (4)
MON (short for Monday) K (last letter of week) Another beautiful surface which raise a wry smile to earn my COD
16 See 9
See 9
17 ADORNMENT Stir navy dye glutton left for decoration (9)
ADO (fuss, stir) RN (Royal Navy) PIGMENT (dye)
21 SUMMONER Old archbishop takes in second pilgrim en route to Canterbury (8)
Ins of MO (moment, second) in John Bird SUMNER (1780–1862), Archbishop of Canterbury from 1848 to his death. Allusion to The Summoner’s Tale, from Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales
22 WEALTH With inquiring expression, insert key to reveal treasure (6)
W (with) + ins of ALT (a key on the keyboard like Esc, Ctrl, etc) in EH (expression of enquiry) Thanks rhotician@1
24 UNARGUABLE Weave rug inside? Woman up to it, without doubt (10)
Ins of *(RUG) in UNA (woman) + ABLE (up to it)
25 LOUT Whack head fleeing brute (4)
CLOUT (hit, whack) minus C. first letter or head
26 HENBIT Woman purchased a plant (6)
HEN (woman) BIT (purchased as in gripped or gained a foothold) for the ivy-leaved speedwell; a species of dead-nettle.
27 PLAY UP Emphasise power with shot on court (4,2)
P (power) LAY UP (shot on court)
1 AVIATOR Boeing, perhaps, crosses sea via Torbay (7)
ha
2 See 4
See 4
3 ALPINES Spaniel uprooted plants (7)
*(SPANIEL)
5 AMPERE A base unit is spoiled, if ends are detached (6)
HAMPERED (spoiled) minus first and last letter for the base SI unit for electric current
6 WORK A ROOM Socially circulate computer malware around region of South Africa (4,1,4)
Ins of KAROO (a semi-desert natural region of South Africa) in WORM (computer malware, software such as a virus or worm or Trojan Horse that is designed to damage or destroy information on a computer)
7 HASSOCK It cushions joint when straddling animal (7)
Ins of ASS (animal) in HOCK (joint on the hind leg of a quadruped) for a tuft or tussock of grass, rushes, etc; a firmly stuffed cushion for kneeling on in church
8 DRIBS AND DRABS One flying up smooth cloth to Sweden a bit at a time (5,3,5)
DRIB (rev of BIRD, one flying up) SAND (smooth) DRAB (a thick, strong, grey cloth) S (Sweden)
14 DECAMERON Old tales by posh boy keen to depart for Spain (9)
DAVID CAMERON (British Prime Minister, a posh boy or one of the privileged people usually with Eton/Harrow + Oxbridge education of old wealth who never have to stand in line at Tesco) with AVID (keen) replaced by E (Espana, Spain) for The Decameron, Boccaccio’s book of a hundred tales, supposed to be told in ten days. Thank you, rhotician@1 for the leg-up.
16 SQUINCH 1 of 5 in school gives support for spire (7)
Ins of QUIN (1 of 5) in SCHool for an arch or other support across a re-entrant or interior angle.
18 RAW DEAL Harsh treatment at ring leader’s trial, we hear (3,4)
R (first letter of ring) AWDEAL, sounds like ORDEAL, trial)
19 NO-TRUMP Disbelief expressed — Tory leader behind the bid (2-5)
NO! (expression of disbelief) T (first letter of Tory) RUMP (buttocks, behind)
20 INCUBI Trendy art movement’s lost manuscript raised spirits (6)
IN (trendy) CUBISM (art movement) minus SM (rev of MS, manuscript) for evil spirits supposedly able to assume male bodies and have sexual intercourse with women in their sleep
23 ALLEY Marble passageway (5)
dd the lesser known being a choice taw or large marble

Key to abbreviations

dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(FODDER) = anagram

28 Responses to “Guardian 25,845 – Bonxie”

1. rhotician says:

Thanks UY.
    22a is W + ALT in EH.
    14d is DAVID CAMERON with E replacing AVID.

27a should be shot on course (golf) rather than court (tennis).

2. Uncle Yap says:

I also thought so but Chambers gave : (in basketball) a shot taken from near the basket, esp one-handed and bouncing off the backboard; (in golf) a shot deliberately played short of a hazard or green.

3. NeilW says:

Thanks, UY. Bonxie at his trickiest today.

In 5, I thought pamper rather than hamper as the word for spoil (after a short dalliance with tamper!)

Halfway through, I wondered if there were some underlying theme about medieval tales but it seemed to peter out.

4. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. Struggled through this, needing TEA evaluation help to get 5d and dictionary verification of Chinook=wind and HENBIT, as well as googling the archbishop. That said, it was a fine puzzle and well done Bonxie. .

5. Chris says:

Thanks, UY. Definitely not on Bonxie’s wavelength today.

A minor correction to your correction – in 22a, ALT isn’t a high note, but rather a key on a computer keyboard.

6. Robi says:

A good one from tricksy Bonxie.

Thanks UY; I didn’t see the D(avid) bit of DECAMERON, which was a very good clue. SQUINCH was new to me as was a marble ALLEY.

I thought that the ‘behind’ in 19 looked a bit strange in a down clue. Is it conventional that this juxtaposition indicator can be used down as well as across? After the discussion yesterday about ‘first,’ I was misled in the beginning by thinking 12’s answer started with a ‘d.’ :(

I particularly liked WAH-WAH PEDAL and the nicely hidden AVIATOR

7. John Appleton says:

I took the wordplay in 5d to be (T)AMPERE(D). Pampered makes more sense, though.

8. Gervase says:

Thanks, UY.

Tough one from Bonxie, though I was deceived at first into thinking it might be at the easier end of his spectrum by spotting half a dozen answers straight off. SQUINCH was new to me (it took me a long time to remember that U can be preceded by Q, as usual), as was Archbishop Sumner, but 21a had to be SUMMONER.

I took 5d as (T)AMPERE(D) as well: my favourite clue. Interesting that ‘key’ always used to mean A-G, but is now more commonly ALT, DEL or something similar (cf 22a). O tempora, o mores.

9. Rob Harries says:

A minor niggle:
    Wah-wah pedals don’t vary the level of amplification, they vary the tone.
    It’s also possible to hold the pedal between “fully off” and “fully on”, to hold the chosen varied tone, e.g. in some of Frank Zappa’s work (I think)

10. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Bonxie

I found this clever puzzle very hard in places and had to check ‘henbit’ and ‘squinch’ though they were gettable from the wordplay.

I had a lot of trouble with 12a trying endings for ‘Buryat’ and wondering about ‘bergamot’ until the penny dropped.

I missed the full parsing of 14d – a good clue as Robi notes.

I ticked 1a, 11a, 13a, 22a,18d, 19d, 20d as I went along.

Robi – I don’t see the point of your Q about 19d. ‘Behind’ simply refers to ‘rump’ as UY says. It does not indicate the posiiton of any element in the answer.

11. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    A very satisfactory work-out.
    I am also slowly getting used to the new use of ‘key’ (Gervase @8)
    Rob @9
    The clue doesn’t mention ‘amplification’,just ‘affects sound’ which must include ‘tone’.
    Favourites were 26ac (for purchased = bit) and 14d (for everything!)
    last in was 26ac.
    I didn’t know ‘squinch’ but the cryptic was clear and dear old John Bird from the 19th century is not one of my favourite religionistas but he was OK.

12. Uncle Yap says:

Chris@5, Chambers (my crossword Holy Bible) has this :

alt
    noun – a high tone, in voice or instrument.

13. Mitz says:

Thanks Bonxie and Uncle Yap.

Tough. Whenever I thought I was on a roll, I got held up again. With Bonxie it’s the clever use of mis-direction – he seems to have a knack of choosing clue words that have a common and less common meaning, with the latter being required.

Plenty of favourites, when they finally did fall into place: WINDSOCK, WAH-WAH PEDAL, DECAMERON (which also appeared in a similar form in Cyclops’s Private Eye Christmas monster), RAW DEAL and NO TRUMP were all excellent, as were the clues for SQUINCH and HENBIT – I didn’t know either, but confidently put them in (belatedly – the latter was last to drop) as the word play was so precise. Bravo.

14. Miche says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap.

A toughie, yes. I failed to get SQUINCH, and entered HENBIT without confidence.

I put INARGUABLE at 24a. It isn’t in Chambers, but Collins online has it.

15. Mitz says:

Very interesting point Miche. I was about to say “but ‘Ina’ isn’t a girl’s name,” but apparently it is: see here, for example

Ambiguity. Gah!

16. Trailman says:

Struggled to the end but needed artificial aid for large parts of the S half so beyond my ‘clean’ solving abilities I’m afraid.

Where I live the roads are named after bishops. There is no Sumner Road. Would have helped (that, and acquaintance with Chaucer).

17. muck says:

Thanks UY and Bonxie
    Tough. I gave up with most of the SW corner empty even tho I had partial answers eg SQUIN?? and ?????UABLE

18. Derek Lazenby says:

Wah-wah. It’s a bit more complicated than given above. I quote from Wikipedia “The pedal sweeps the peak response of a filter up and down in frequency to create the sound (spectral glide), also known as “the wah effect.” ” What that means is that the volume of that part of the sound corresponding to the filter frequency is not changed (much) but other frequencies within the sound have their volume reduced by varying amounts. That effect is then applied to varying frequencies within the sound as the pedal is pressed and released.

I thought Ina initially too but the Check button quicly made me change my mind.

Henbit won the 1980 Derby!

19. Mitz says:

Bottom line: “It effects sound”

20. Mitz says:

Ugh. *affects*

21. Robi says:

tupu @10; thanks I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and didn’t read the blog properly :(

22. Andy B says:

Uncle Yap,

Your copy of Chambers may well have a definition of Alt as a high tone, which is perfectly correct, but to fit the subsidiary part of the clue the setter was surely thinking of the Alt key on a computer keyboard. The clue doesn’t work with your definition.

Regards,
    Andy

23. brucew_aus says:

Thanks Bonxie and UY

Always know that you’re in for a challenge when this name is at the top – and no exception again with this one. Very difficult to get a run-on and instead one has to earn every answer.

SW corner was the had bit for me with HENBIT last in. Was going to write DECAMERON in a number of times but couldn’t justify it – finally parsed when it could not be anything else and was my COD. Many other fine clues in a good workout.

Welcome back rcw … hadn’t seen you for a while … other than a late post on Monday.

24. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Bonxie and Uncle Yap.

The first clues flew in and then it got trickier and trickier.

I didn’t know the archbishop but it could only be the SUMMONER from the crossing letters.

COD was INCUBI. I didn’t know the spirits but do know about nightmares (Italian). MONK was a close second.

Giovanna X

25. Brendan (not that one) says:

Amazingly I found this quite easy for Bonxie. Some days the subconscious does all the work for you!!! Very enjoyable though.

I did however fail to parse DECAMAERON. Thanks to Rhotician for that and to UY an Bonxie.

26. RCWhiting says:

Thanks Bruce.

27. Sil van den Hoek says:

If Paul B would not have been alive anymore [but dear all, he is – much to my relieve], he would have turned himself quite a few around in his grave:
    Tory leader = T
    exiled premier = E
    ring leader = R
    last week = K
    I even thought that “Dig first” was another one but it wasn’t.

Our first solution went in very quickly – MONK.
    Then we started talking bout other things because solving this crossword was pointless.
    Half an hour later we picked things up again and – quite miraculously – we solved the puzzle without any aides with only two letters left (the B and T of 26ac).

I wish I could say that I would have been like you, Brendan (not that one). Quite easy? Quite very difficult!

Bonxie’s “GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS” crossword was one of The Guardian’s highlights last year.
    This one was like the usual Bonxie – not really a setter at my wavelength.

It’s all very clever (is it?), but tonight my PinC said that 17ac summed it all up for her: “dye glutton left” for [pig]MENT, that’s Bonxie.

I like clever setters and clever crosswords, but when at the same time they use “last week” for K (and keep on doing that) or write “to the country” when they mean “country”, well.

Thanks Uncle Yap.
    One more little ‘anecdote’ to SUMMONER (21 ac).
    In 1993 Sting made an album called “The Summoner’s Tale”.
    Sting’s real name is Gordon Sumner.
    Bonxie could have done something with that.

All in all, we almost got there.
    But a bit slog-gy.

For something that’s more at my wavelength, please turn to the Independent site (or download Crossword Solver – for free) for a stunning puzzle by Donk.

28. Rob h says:

Bit late but fairly sure the court in question in 27 is a basketball court. A lay up is a common basketball shot up where you run in and shoot from close to the hoop, usually off the backboard.